Loin Back Ribs $$

Tim Fig

What's everybody paying this winter for ribs? Here in Des Moines,Iowa with I think more pigs than people I'm paying $3.99 per pd on sale. $4.35 reg. I've also heard the get'em now because the price is going up soon due to high corn prices.

Our Sam's Club currently has them for $2.99/lb and Tops (Supermarket chain) has them for $6.99/lb. Summer prices at Sam's vary between $2.49 and $2.79/lb.

Spares are running $2.39/lb at Sam's.

Welcome to TVWB.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

The country butcher doesn't carry babybacks as there is no demand; spares: $2.50-$3, occasionally on sale for less.

In town the supermarkets usually have babybacks but rarely very many--$4.50-$5, no idea if they are ever on sale; spares are $2.30-$2.80, on sale down to maybe $1.89.

bbacks 2.59- 2.99 at a wholesaler.

Spares 2.10 untrimmed

Butts bone in 1.25-1.35

Packer cut brisket 1.80 (Lightly trimmed of hard fat)

I paid $2.17/LB for a 11.74 LB cryo pac of spare ribs at our local Sam's. I think the BBs were going for almost $3

What I have found is a different quality of rib, even though it may come from the same plant.

The ribs at Costco, packaged in cryovac will be meatier and more dense than the same package of Hormel that I find in the grocery store. They also will be smaller per rack as opposed to the ones found at Costco.

I do believe there are different grades possibly packaged for different retail institutions. I don't know, not familiar with the practices of retail distribution.

There is a fluctuation of price at the warehouse stores depending on the season by about $.30 per pound.

Back