Loin baby backs ??

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
I picked up some ribs from Publix, the lable said they were "Pork Loin Baby Back Ribs". I need to understand rib types. I was thinking spare ribs were the biggest, loin ribs were medium size, and baby backs were smaller. These look bigger than babybacks Ive had before. Got em on the wsm now started @ 11:00am. How long do I smoke these?

I've always been under the impression that baby backs and loins are the same ribs. I'm guessing those just came from a bigger pig. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding to date.

Loin Back and Baby Back ribs are used interchangeably but I often run accross information about the weight of them being the difference. For instance, this excerpt is in Chris' Rib Selection:

People often use the terms "baby back ribs" and "back ribs" interchangeably. However, some in the pork industry suggest that only loin back ribs weighing less than 1-3/4 pounds per slab should be called "baby back".

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything here, just share what I've learned on this wonderful site.
icon_cool.gif

I ran into this at an Albertson's store here in Seattle. They were labeled "loin Back Ribs". I thought that they were Baby Backs. Every other time I looked at ribs there they were called spares and rightly so. When I got the "Loin Backs" home I found that what I had were spars trimmed and the trimmings positioned so that the packaging had more ribs than they really contained. As it turned out I had St. Louis style. I complained and at the time the butcher wasn't there some un-educated meat teller was, but I haven't seen them try that stunt again.

Back