Lodge Grill Pan

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
A few weeks ago my daughter found a Lodge grill pan on clearance and bought it for me. I like the pan a lot and especially like the grill marks that it makes on the food. Since I just have the standard kettle grate, and have not yet bought any of the cast iron grates available for it, I was thinkin of trying the pan on the kettle. Start off grilling direct over the coals, then finishing in the grill pan for the marks. Just don't want to wreck the pan for indoor use. I hope this works....

I have the 12" Lodge Skillet waiting to be used. I want to try it on chicken fried steak.

I have two. The Lodge and an Emeril from the CL rack from BB&B. I keep one for in-tide and the other for out-tide.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

I've got several Lodge pans, love every one of them too. I've not used the grill pan, but I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to the Craycort cast iron grates for your kettle. Just got mine this christmas and really love them. Keep your pan for indoor use then.

little off subject..........but ive been looking for a 12 inch cast iron skillet and didnt like lodge because of it not being smooth on the inside. Does this smooth out with use. I use some older griswolds and wagners and they are so smooth they look polished. I just cant see these lodge skillets ever getting that slippery slick surface. Please let me know if im wrong. thanks

Corey

I as well have a number of old Griswolds and Wagners and older Lodges, but prefer my newer 10" Lodge which has the textured finish. I just don't see that the texture affects its cooking ability. Maybe I'm missing something. But then again I'm not much of a cook.

Les

dont you find that the food sticks to the textured surface? where the old ones are smooth and slick so food wont stick

When they are well seasoned the food does not stick. The old Griswold's are smooth, but the new Lodge works just as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
have read that if its to rough to just sand it down a bit. you will have to season it again. ci is just fine in the grill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George, what do you use to sand it down with? I hesitate to use my ROS because the heat will destroy the Velcro pad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
heat ??
i just use some wet sandpaper. you don't want it to smooth though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What grit?

You can sand the bumps out but you'll need a power sander or else an orthopedist for your elbow.
icon_smile.gif

This is a good link:
cast iron seasoning and care

Basically the bumps or smooth bottom doesn't make a difference for non-stick. In fact I've seen some new teflon non-sticks that feature a bumpy surface.

Make sure when you season a pan in the oven you coat the pan with oil and put it upside down on the rack so excess oil won't pool in the pan. Put a cookie sheet on the rack to catch the drips.

I use mine on the kettle and the stove. I try to wash with hot water only and once I did get a pleasant grill smell in the house once when warm on the stove
icon_smile.gif

I seasoned a Lodge skillet but the bumps seem to be interfering with the seasoning. This Summer I'm going to sand it down smooth.

Back