Lobster Pot Pie

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I am posting this recipe just for the heck of it. It is in my December mag. and too much to type, and I know you all probably will never make it, but like I said, what the heck, it sounds good. lol

Ingredients​

For the Pastry:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of paprika
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
2 tablespoons heavy cream, for brushing

For the Stock:​

3 live lobsters (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
Kosher salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup brandy
1/2 cup dry white wine or dry prosecco
4 to 6 sprigs parsley, torn in half
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

For the Pot Pie:​

5 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
1 cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus more for topping
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon

Directions​

1. Make the pastry: Whisk the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and paprika in a large bowl. Add the butter and work it in with your fingers until it is in pea-size pieces. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons ice water and toss with your fingers. Gradually mix in up to 1 more tablespoon ice water until the dough holds together when pinched. Wrap in plastic wrap, flatten into a disk and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
  2. Make the stock: To kill the lobsters, place the tip of a chef’s knife between the eyes of each lobster and quickly plunge it in (this is the most humane method). Twist off the tail and claws. Put the bodies in one bowl and the tails and claws in another.
  3. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and season generously with salt. Roughly chop the lobster bodies. Heat the butter in a separate large wide pot over medium-high heat, then add the chopped lobster bodies. Cook, stirring, until bright red, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, carrots and celery; cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir well to coat. Carefully add the brandy, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pot, and cook until evaporated. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. Add just enough water to cover the lobster (5 to 6 cups); add the parsley, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and cook 1 hour. Strain the stock through a colander and discard the large pieces, then strain again through a fine-mesh sieve to catch any shell bits (you should have about 3 cups stock).
  4. Meanwhile, add the lobster tails and claws to the boiling water and cook until the shells are bright and the meat is mostly cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Remove the meat from the shells, chop into bite-size pieces and refrigerate.
  5. While the stock simmers, bake the pastry: Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 10 1/2- to 11-inch round, about 3/8 inch thick. Trim the edges, brush with the heavy cream and cut into 12 wedges. Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
  6. Make the pot pie: Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook until beginning to soften, 3 minutes. Stir in the carrot and celery, add the prepared lobster stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender and the stock has thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the heavy cream and peas and simmer until the cream has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Mash the remaining 1 tablespoon butter with the flour until well combined, then add to the broth, stirring to thicken. Stir in the lobster meat, chives and tarragon and cook just until the lobster is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add a splash of heavy cream if the mixture is too thick.
  7. Divide the pot pie mixture among bowls and top with more chives. Add 2 triangles of pastry to each dish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am posting this recipe just for the heck of it. It is in my December mag. and too much to type, and I know you all probably will never make it, but like I said, what the heck, it sounds good. lol

Joan, I don’t know how close this place is to you but the food here was great. If you enjoy seafood, they have many great menu items.

Back