Little Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Rempe

TVWBB All-Star
Using the Ripway web host site, I am tying to figure out how to actually get my pics from point A to B

I tried reading a post that Chris put up but I am unseccessful at this point! Any advanced help would be appreciated!

I will help you out, but I need to understand the problem better. What are you trying to do? Put your image on the server? What are the steps you are taking? What is not working? Are you getting error messages? Can you reproduce the error, if so what are the steps?

Shawn,

I have uploaded 4-5 pics at ripway. I am trying to get the url posted on a "new discussion" so I can make it clikcable and people will be brought to the site to see the pics.

I click on the display image button, then copy the url into the field and then??? It just comes up writing, no different color to make it clickable. Does that help any??

Maybe we don't need to go there, here are a couple of things to look at:

Ripway Help has about everything you should need to know from your web server side.

To put your files on the server you can use a proprietary little HTTP upload utility by logging in with your account to the Ripway website, or you can use FTP.

For the access path you need to specify in TVWB post images, avatars and so on, pay particular attention to the section titled: Linking to Your Files on Other Websites in the above mentioned help page.

One other thing that I can see tripping people up is the use of space or some other characters in a filename. These characters are not supported in a URL. Simply remove the spaces from the filename.

If you must reference a filename with a space in it:

instead of:
http://myserver.com/myaccount/img/Bad Filename.jpg
*note that the link ends at the space

use %20 to replace the space character like this:
http://myserver.com/myaccount/img/Bad%20Filename.jpg

We were both updating at the same time, oops!

The behaviour you described happens when you enter a badly formed URL (don't worry it's not fatal /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), or when your browser can't obtain the file specified. This is proabably an incorrect file name like the space character thing) but it could be a permissions problem or your web server is down. Ripway being a commercial site I doubt it's either of these two issues. If you caontinue to have problems when everything is correct you might ask them if there s a waiting time before your new account is available to the masses.

Will await your update to these two posts to see if that clears up the issue.

Shawn, this is what I am getting!

right click on the red x and do properties shows among other things

a url of: http://home.ripway.com/2004-7/137410/

when you enter that URL in a browser you see a list that does not seem to be either directories or files

try uploading your files again or correct the url entries in your post if they are valid directories

Can you edit your post and copy the entire image tag, then past it in to your reply with the first [ and ending ] removed like this?
IMG]http://server.com/pic.jpd[/IMG

becoming very angry...not a computer expert...thinking about scrapping the whole idea...or grilling my head on the WSM for a while /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

just caught something
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> so I can make it clikcable and people will be brought to the site to see the pics <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To have a link that launches a new browser going to your website you will have to have a website. This means for example a series of html pages. Ripway is only providing the host computer, web server and storage space, not the content.

Just try puting your image files on the server, then using the insert image button when you post.

The only other option is for Ripway to support browsing of your subdirectories. After transfering your files into subdirectories enter the url of the directory structure with a trailing / and if this is supported, the user will be presented with a list of hyperlinks to the image files in that directory.

I would take the first approach for now then learn how to build your website later.

Yeah, it can be frustrating, but try not to worry about it. You're doing something new and you will get there /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif. Folks just aren't born with this knowledge and most aspects of computer technology are completely intolerant of mistakes.

Shawn, I think this is the problem:

I just went off my laptop and got on my PC where the pics were orginally stored(Kodak EZ share). I had forwarded these pics to my laptop via email. So perhaps when I uploaded them from my laptop it was all screwy from that point on.

In any event, I am getting a new digital camera next week for work for this laptop, so I might be killing this problem anyway. Will try it when I get the camera. Until then, I will post on my PC

THANKS SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP SHAWN /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif... by the way, what did you think of the pics!!??

redoing your upload fixed the problem then correct?

I was just thinking I should reply about the picture content ...mmmmmmmm....still 90 minutes to lunch, and all I have today is a V8. I will stare at your loverly pictures while I sip the V8.

Uh-oh, now I'm getting this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ripway Web Hosting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Blocked - User Transfer Limit Exceeded
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This account has exceeded its maximum 24 hour transfer limit. Please try back later.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

either you have to pay to have a useful, practical hosting solution, or try posting smaller files. So sorry dude.

My ISP gives me 10MB free web space. Perhaps yours gives you some as well. It's worth checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back