lit on top or bottom

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've done all my cooks using a full chimney of lit coals on the bottom and filling the ring with unlit. All have had good results.
What are the pros/cons of hot on bottom-cold on top or the opposite?

Probably about the same as the water or sand question, the question of the effect of coating mustard over the butt.

It is all good. If you can get it to last 14 hours plus, share the alternative technique.

Bob j,
I'm glad you've been getting good results with the bottom up burns. Do you use lump or charcoal briquettes?
Dave, why do they call you "two horse"?
db

Hot coals on top of unlit coals (The Minion Method) produces longer burn times than using hot coals first. With good weather I can get 18-22 hour cooks on one load of Kingsford using the Minion Method.

Bob
If you want to run a higher temp cook hot coals on the bottom will give you that result easily.
You need to close bottom vents almost completely to keep temps down with a normal low and slow cook, that can lead to incomplete combustion with it's problems.
Jim

Dave,

It was a rough day a few years ago. It involved a very large tree that we dropped and it fell in the wrong place and all the unbreakable things I broke moving the base of the tree.

After I bent the come-a-long handle pulling on it I was awarded the name.

You know, the ladies call Jim Minion "the horse" but he would never tell me why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back