Light bulb in vent hood.

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
I have an Allure by Broan vent hood.

I want to change the light bulb, I don't like the soft white light bulb color. I want cool daylight.

What type of light bulb does it take?

I can't read the label on the current light bulbs, they are too faded.

Last edited:
I displaced the light bulb socket for one of the bulbs, while trying to get the new bulb to work.

🤦‍♂️

The new bulb in the right socket is fine.

The one in the left socket, I couldn't get it work, and eventually displaced it and it's stuck somewhere in the hood.

I did notice with the old bulb, I had to wiggle it a little to get it to work. With the new bulb, even that didn't work.

Going to see if the handy man can fix the left socket, as I don't have any more time I can put into this, as I have other households tasks I need to do.

I displaced the light bulb socket for one of the bulbs, while trying to get the new bulb to work.

🤦‍♂️

The new bulb in the right socket is fine.

The one in the left socket, I couldn't get it work, and eventually displaced it and it's stuck somewhere in the hood.

I did notice with the old bulb, I had to wiggle it a little to get it to work. With the new bulb, even that didn't work.

Going to see if the handy man can fix the left socket, as I don't have any more time I can put into this, as I have other households tasks I need to do.
Ok, so your cornfusing me. When you say "displaced" do you mean the glass part came out but the screw in part is still in there?

The lightbulb itself is intact and fine, it's the light bulb socket holder (the part that screws into the light bulb) that is stuck in the hood vent.

The lightbulb itself is intact and fine, it's the light bulb socket holder (the part that screws into the light bulb) that is stuck in the hood vent.
Well it should be. The light bulb screws into that, not the other way around.

Are you saying part number 18 came loose from # 19?

1617665118181.png

It's difficult to tell from some of the illustrations but is it possible to reach behind and somehow get it back in place, with the household power turned off (and not just the range hood turned off)? Or unscrew # 19 (the light panel)?

1617665226518.png

Yes, I think part # 18 came loose, and got stuck in the hood vent where I can't see it.

I think it might be possible to fix it by unscrewing # 19.

However, given the other difficulties I was having with making the new light bulb fit in the left socket (it fit ok in the right one), there might multiple things going on. Maybe even if I could get the socket holder back in place, that there might still be some more work to be done to get the new light bulb to fit properly.

Or maybe this just isn't a good brand of light bulb, and they don't fit great, and I need to return them (and I'm just getting lucky on the right vent side).

I went back and forth between the old bulb, and the new bulb, trying to get the new one to work, several times (almost 30 mins). Also made sure the new bulb worked, by replacing it with the other new one in the right side socket.

Even with the old bulb, the left side seemed harder to get to work. I had to put it in just the right spot. Otherwise, even if it was screwed in, it wouldn't turn on. I had to jiggle it a little, once it was in place, so it would be in the right spot.

I've had some other tasks that I also need to do, and this seems like one of those things that someone else can do, during my work from home hours. So my other time can be freed up.

Well it should be. The light bulb screws into that, not the other way around.
What I mean is that it's stuck so far into the hood vent, that I can't even see the socket holder anymore. It's like I pushed it all the way up through the light bulb hole.

Using that illustration above, it's like I pushed part 18 so far up that I can't even see it anymore.

Yea, those clips/sockets get brittle, old or burnt out if you use a higher wattage bulb then spec'd.
Even if you use a right bulb they still burn out as you already experienced.
Halogen bulbs will do that. I replaced the headlight harness on my old car several times.

This is fixed now.

There were a few issues going on, including a broken clip.

The handy man fixed it, saving me from an unexpected task this week.

Back