Lid Temp vs Top Grate

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
I have a question it makes sense that the lid temp would be hotter than the top grate? I have a BQ300 2.5" stem Tru-Temp mounted opposite the handle if it reads 225 then my Maverek Et-73 mounted in center of top grate will give me a reading of 240-250.

Rick, I think you have it backwards. If you have a dome temp of 240-250 you grate temp should be right around 225 I think. And the lower grate will be even lower in temp. Heat rises in the smoker.

That is the whole point of my first post. For example Right now as Iam typing the Tru-Temp in the lid is nailed at 210 and the Maverek in the middle of the grate is nailed at 240.

Oh... Ok... I would take the average of the two temps. Also, make sure that your probe is clean. Sometimes the carbon build up on the prob will give you some unexpected readings. Or you could try to calibrate the prob just to make sure it is accurate. Check this link. On the bottom of the page is how to test your thermoder for accuracy.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/measuretemp.html

Sounds to me like one of the therms is not reading correctly. The temp in the upper part of the dome of the lid is hotter than the temp at the level of the top cooking grate.

Paul

Personally, I only use the dome for measuring temps. I used to run all these probes so I could see what the temps were at each level. Then of course my meat probes had to go in there. Next thing you know, I've got a smoker that looks like it's on steroids ... wires everywhere! Now it's just one probe in the dome and later in the cook I might run some meat probes. I know from my experience with my smoker that if I run a 265* dome temp, my top grate temp will be near 250* and the bottom grate will be around 235*.

BUT ... When I cooked with DrChuckie a few weeks back in a comp. his temps did run hotter on the bottom grate than the top. Not just on one of his WSM's but both of them! It went against all I've learned about temps and the WSM. Go figure! Feel free to ask DrChuckie yourself, he frequents this board.

Rick

Paul that is what I would assume too. I know the Maverek is reading correctly because my home is 77 degrees and both probes were reading 77 while sitting on my counter. The Tru-Temp is brand new I have used it for 2 other cooks with the same effect approx 25-30 lower than the Maverek probe on the top grate. How do I calabrate the Tru-Temp. I would think even with the 2.5" stem it should still be hotter. Dont you.
SORRY ITS A TEL- TRU NOT TRU-TEMP

I would check all three in boiling water. Often, thermometer error is not linear. A particular unit may be off only a degree at one temp, and several degrees at another. For example, the Maverick closely matches your house temp at 77°, but it may be off by by a much different number at BBQ temps.

Of course, the possibility exists that the readings you observed are correct. Varying conditions and movement of air thru the WSM could have an effect on temps at different points in the cooker.

I guess I'm a lot like Rick. I just use a Taylor candy therm with a clip in the top vent and try to hold that temp at between 240 and 260. I then assume my top and bottom grates are "ok". Late in the cook for a butt, I insert a polder type meat therm and wait for 195.

I think you can almost have too much info and all it serves is to worry and agravate you - at least it would me. I like to keep it simple. My guess is the results are pretty similiar.

Paul

Although a necomer here I must agree with Paul G. I stick my Taylor in the top vent. If I keep it around 240 or 250 I am happy wih everything else. I don't even take temp on a butt till much time has passed. If the dome temp is at the 250 range I am happy that my rack temps are good

Results of my testing well the most testing I can do since I have two butts on right now.

So I called Tel-Tru and she said the BQ300 comes calibrated and that it unable to be calibrated after. I didnt take it out of the lid yet but I did boil water and stuck my Maverek probe in the water it held between 214-215 I would say it works fine since water boils at 212 degrees.

Now I am going to run outside and put the probe in the vent hole I will let you know Mike.

Back