Lid hold down mod on OTG/OTS

Thanks guys! Chris and Jeremy, great job! Hope mine turns out as nice.

I would suggest you call Weber directly for the handle that has the notches

I tried calling but they said to get the handle I'd have to buy the whole lid assembly for around $35. I'll try again when I call for the lid lock. Maybe I'll get somebody who's able to get me just the handle. Hopefully I can, that way I don't have to pay $8 shipping from the other site for a $3 handle. Especially since I'll be able to get free shipping from weber using this code

that is just about the stupidest thing i've heard weber say. so if i want one for my sjp or my sjg's i gotta buy a lid ? they wouldn't like my response. personally i think weber is getting worse.

I agree George. I plan to call tomorrow and hopefully I can sweet talk the next person I talk to into getting me one without having to get the whole thing. Of course though, now that I've decided to go this route the SJP in Sac you posted about last week is now down to $25.

I would but the Boss won't allow it.

Ordered the wire and the support this morning but they are on back order until wednesday and the lady is looking into a handle for me. Hopefully she can find one.

I agree George. From the recent posts about people getting conflicting prices and from what I've dealt with lately it doesn't seem like weber is running normally.

I just hope she can find me a handle! That wire and support aren't going to be much help if I don't have the handle.

Here's a progress pic. Nothing too big yet, just cut 7 1/2" legs out of a shower curtain rod and added some 1" black crutch feet to the bottom. I swear the shower curtain rod is what weber uses for their legs! It's exactly the same and fit perfectly in the leg sockets. I added some self tapping screws just for good measure but I don't think I really needed them. I saved the weber legs in case I wanted to switch back to the regular height.

P9033800.jpg

Just spoke with the lady I've been dealing with at weber. She was able to find me a handle, so I should have the parts to finish it hopefully this next week.

Just for future reference, in case anybody is interested, the parts I ordered were the lid lock support (Part #86921) $3, lid lock wire (Part #86824) $3.50, hardware for the wire (Part #80805) $1.90, and the handle with the notches (Part #80772) $8.30.

Not sure that the hardware was absolutely necessary but I figured for the cost I'd go ahead and get it so I can have an idea of how it was attached from the factory.

Also, not sure if the lid lock wire is going to work. I haven't seen anybody do it but I thought it would be nice to be able to rest the lid in it. Anybody out there tried it?

Looking forward to the finished product.

its nice when a plan comes together. i don't see why it cant work the same a an sjp. just in case, the hole for the wire is just a hair under 4" from the lower edge of the lower bowl to the center of the hole. course this might depend on if the lid profiles are the same or not.

Back