Let's Get Amir A Black Box!

D Arita

TVWBB Fan
I was just made aware that Amir, creator of Stokerlog, has not been given a new Wifi version of Stoker. That means it's been really tough for him to chase down glitches in Stokerlog for wifi users.
Since Rocks has not found it necessary to supply Amir with one of their black boxes, is there a way that we could get together and get him one? I'd love for Rocks to come through, but what do you think the possibility of that is? What can we do here?

Count me in for a donation to this cause. Sounds like a nice way to show our appreciation to Amir for all the work developing Stokerlog and answering our questions. Dan

Me three.

Spent Saturday staring at StokerLog while I had the ribs in the WSM with the Stoker Wifi in control.

The only pain was when my wireless router crapped out and needed a reboot. Of course the Stoker took another IP address and it took me ten-minutes to realise and re-initialise the StokerLog ....

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I could take the horns on this. Maybe start a list and figure out a way for us to donate and make payment to Rocks? I'd like to see this happen for Amir's sake and selfishly, for ours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron B - NE Ontario, Canada:
Can someone persuade Rock to sell Amir the Stoker at cost ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean, sell us a Stoker at cost to give to Amir or allow us to pay cost for a Stoker delivered to Amir...right...

Count me in and if no one else has I'll reach out to John today and see if I can negotiate a at cost purchase for testing purposes. I'll update this evening.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Count me in and if no one else has I'll reach out to John today and see if I can negotiate a at cost purchase for testing purposes. I'll update this evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry,
that's great! Thanks for taking that on. Also, maybe think about a way for us to pay for the box. Maybe John already has a way to do this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, maybe think about a way for us to pay for the box. Maybe John already has a way to do this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I'd be happy to handle the transaction with John and people can send me the money via PayPal or a check via the mail. Or if John has a way to handle it we can go that direction too. I assume this sort of thing is OK with Chris. Someone should bring this thread to his attention to make sure we're not violating any sort of site policy.

Update, still waiting to hear back from John.

UPDATE: Kevin emailed me back and he'll talk to John over the weekend.

Hi guys. I can't believe you are doing this
icon_smile.gif
. My only wish was that you would communicate the need for them to do this testing before releasing their hardware or get me test systems. They had promised me the former so I am bummed that there are issues. I feel really bad about any of you having to pay for this.

Larry, thanks for contacting them. I sent email to John way back when this product was announced but the reply was from someone called Kenny with the above promise.

Amir, it's my pleasure. Truth be told I'm not buying a new Wi-Fi unit, however, much like my association with this site Stokerlog has brought me much pleasure and enjoyment in my smoking sessions so I feel it only fair to kick in a few bucks so those who are moving to or buying the Wi-Fi unit receive the same enjoyment from this great FREE product. I can't imagine using my Stoker without Stokerlog. I recently read somewhere someone asking if the first time others used Stokerlog they stared at the screen like a "mental patient." After more cooks than I can count I still do this, so very cool!

Amir, I can't think of using the Wifi Stoker without Stokerlog...it's too cool for school. I can't believe you do all of this for free, as I would pay $ for Stokerlog. I feel the least we can do as users, is to provide you with a Wifi Stoker of you own. Seems only right. I still can't believe that Rocks doesn't, at the very least, provide you with one, since it is their product that you are supporting and for many, the reason they are purchasing the Wifi unit at all. Hopefully, we can get this thing together soon and you can play with a black box of your own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Amir, it's my pleasure. Truth be told I'm not buying a new Wi-Fi unit, however, much like my association with this site Stokerlog has brought me much pleasure and enjoyment in my smoking sessions so I feel it only fair to kick in a few bucks so those who are moving to or buying the Wi-Fi unit receive the same enjoyment from this great FREE product. I can't imagine using my Stoker without Stokerlog. I recently read somewhere someone asking if the first time others used Stokerlog they stared at the screen like a "mental patient." After more cooks than I can count I still do this, so very cool! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Arita:
Amir, I can't think of using the Wifi Stoker without Stokerlog...it's too cool for school. I can't believe you do all of this for free, as I would pay $ for Stokerlog. I feel the least we can do as users, is to provide you with a Wifi Stoker of you own. Seems only right. I still can't believe that Rocks doesn't, at the very least, provide you with one, since it is their product that you are supporting and for many, the reason they are purchasing the Wifi unit at all. Hopefully, we can get this thing together soon and you can play with a black box of your own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amir, I agree 100% with both of these. Your contribution to the community with Stokerlog should not go unrewarded.
Thanks for the hard work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Arita:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron B - NE Ontario, Canada:
Can someone persuade Rock to sell Amir the Stoker at cost ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean, sell us a Stoker at cost to give to Amir or allow us to pay cost for a Stoker delivered to Amir...right... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Provide Amir a Stoker at cost and we'll pay for it. They should know that StokerLog is a major reason people buy their Stoker, no ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They should know that StokerLog is a major reason people buy their Stoker, no ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm confident John knows this. Hope to hear something from Rocks tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.

Amir, as one sw dude to another, I know exactly what you mean about testing on the exact hw involved. We've already found a bug, we need you! :)

Keep us posted, please, on the donations. I'll help.

Back