Legendary Cook!!

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
About 4 months ago when I knew a lot less I fell in love with timothy’s cook. He was making a Pepper Stout Beef. I tried buying the right cut last trip to my “other” butchers and came home unknowingly with eye of round. This makes great Italian style beef sandwiches though so thankfully it worked out okay. Today I picked up 3 - 5lb chuck roasts from my butcher who actually listens to what I want. Apparently they are thicker than I thought or what you guys mostly use. I was hoping for 3 hours for each covered and not covered. So far I am 4 hours in and currently at 140 internal.
I have some pre pics now and will be sure to show final product.
I made some Horseradish cream sauce and the MRS made pasta salad.

Attachments

• 9F839FE3-32DE-40DA-9863-17654AB66229.jpeg
    9F839FE3-32DE-40DA-9863-17654AB66229.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 24
  • DB1CD148-E828-44A9-9DD5-61FD71134ACE.jpeg
    DB1CD148-E828-44A9-9DD5-61FD71134ACE.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 22
  • CEF41DC2-1F05-4EC7-8531-EFC090CB518A.jpeg
    CEF41DC2-1F05-4EC7-8531-EFC090CB518A.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 23
  • E2A12F4E-1A3E-4DE7-9904-EB4F4DD6A33A.jpeg
    E2A12F4E-1A3E-4DE7-9904-EB4F4DD6A33A.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 25
  • EF2A099B-784A-4DF2-A0BF-49F101070744.jpeg
    EF2A099B-784A-4DF2-A0BF-49F101070744.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 25
From my point of view I was hoping for more but I think just getting up to fork tenderer will fix any issues if it is tougher than I want it to be......
It’s my first run at it Timothy, hoping for the best here is a pic where we are now at 142 internal.
Everything else is ready to go.....I hope it doesn’t take 3 more hours to hit the 165, lol, my wife will kill me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 8
Only raised 2 degrees since first post. I can’t eat at midnight.....lol
My wife also cannot kill me, based on this math I have 5 hours till covering time....lol
I’m just going to increase the bbq temp a bit and achieve the colour I am looking for and get it into the oven a bit early.
Still eat for 8:30 or so lol.
It’s okay, the music is on and the cocktails are plenty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 5
Only raised 2 degrees since first post. I can’t eat at midnight.....lol
My wife also cannot kill me, based on this math I have 5 hours till covering time....lol
I’m just going to increase the bbq temp a bit and achieve the colour I am looking for and get it into the oven a bit early.
Still eat for 8:30 or so lol.
It’s okay, the music is on and the cocktails are plenty.
I also upped the pan a bit with 2 hot Hungarian peppers and used the usual 3 jalapeños.

Wrap in foil and up the temp of your pit to 325-350. You’ll get that roast done. Or wrap and throw in the oven.

I was able to hit 150 on the roast. It has good colour, time, and smoke. I may be making a mistake but I am going to add it to the veggies and get it in the oven....internal is 150 now. 6 hours in....I should have wrapped about an hour ago, thanks for the tip Case, I should really have thought of that one myself....must be the cocktails...

Attachments

• 43A7608E-0BF9-49B9-844B-0355E19B0414.jpeg
    43A7608E-0BF9-49B9-844B-0355E19B0414.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 5
Stick a fork in it and see if it twists like spagetti or is tender.
Normally I take them to 160 before foil, but you have to do what you do to get supper on the table.

Give it an hour or so and start breaking it down. Even if it's not fall apart tender, yet, making it smaller helps break down the collagen and connective tissue.

We’ve been in the 375 for an hour, we are just going to give it some more time...... dinner is going to be more than an hour still.

You left us hanging.... When did it get done? How was it? Are you in the dog house? Pizza delivery guy to the rescue? Tomorrow's lunch?

Yeah, I apologize. That is why I usually don’t post a cook until the following day. With it taking 10 hours and rushing most of the steps I ended up getting pretty tired. I was having cocktails pretty early in the day, I’m sure you can get where I am going with that. I do have 2 finished pics, they aren’t good but it is the final product. Lot of leftovers still so I will be sure to get a better idea on how it tastes today, looks like I had too much creamy horseradish sauce last night. I do like that stuff apparently.

Attachments

• DAE3A66B-B797-4ECC-AEF0-8A0CDC19C5AE.jpeg
    DAE3A66B-B797-4ECC-AEF0-8A0CDC19C5AE.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 19
  • B284BE70-95E5-4073-B800-54FBFB780CF5.jpeg
    B284BE70-95E5-4073-B800-54FBFB780CF5.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 19
Looks great from here. Course I am on a phone so... can you ship some to here.. quick. ;) too much horseradish sauce ? Too much vinyl caffeine? Well maybe too may drinks...
Great looking cool. Love pot roast

Yeah, I apologize. That is why I usually don’t post a cook until the following day. With it taking 10 hours and rushing most of the steps I ended up getting pretty tired. I was having cocktails pretty early in the day, I’m sure you can get where I am going with that. I do have 2 finished pics, they aren’t good but it is the final product. Lot of leftovers still so I will be sure to get a better idea on how it tastes today, looks like I had too much creamy horseradish sauce last night. I do like that stuff apparently.
Have you ever tried Chipotle Mayo on pulled beef?
It's my favorite and you can kick it up with some Horsey.

PSB is one of our favorites. Usually do the chuck at 3 hours at 300, then put it in the foil pan with the veggies n beer. Covered for another 1-3 hours til fork tender....

It does taste great. Had it for dinner last night, lunch today at work and making taco's tonight with homemade pico and guac. I seen another post here a few days back with left over PSB style cook and homemade pico and avocado slices. I had to do it.....maybe post a pic here tonight if I remember. Not sure who posted that picture but it made me want to eat it.
Lots of left overs....its all good. The beef was considerably spicier than I thought it would be. 2 whole Hungarian peppers and 3 jalapenos.
Everything turned out darn good, about an 8 out of 10 for sure.
I appreciate all the tips and thank everyone for coming to take a look. I learned a couple of things and I know next time it will be just a bit better.
Take the tiny mistakes I made ( mostly cooking times ) and make those changes and it can be a 9 out of 10 for sure.
Why Can I not make it a 10 out of 10........good question.
Turns out almost every cut of beef I get from my " take care of everything and anything butcher " who has a big setup and really does look after me, never has the really good cuts....or marbling. I have had a brisket before and many other cuts that are just too lean, you don't see enough fat in the muscle for it to get tender enough. The brisket I had last from him was very disappointing, when it comes out rubbery sort of and everything you did seemed right with the cook......:cry: Now this PSB broke apart pretty good but when I pulled it, the insta was reading 208....I went a bit extra as I seen the look of the meat before I started cooking. The butchers prices are higher than my second choice butcher too. All in all I will still go to this first choice butcher but may leave my nice beef cuts to another choice,.....it is my only option as I have given him a number of chances.
So from a guessing prospective......it appears as google image would display as this would be AA cut, where triple A usually is good enough and of course we all know how much we all love prime cuts.
I have 2 more in the freezer so we will have to work with it, plan on making another one in a few weeks, hopefully feed it to my immediate family.
I will share my success for sure.....thanks again for popping by.

Back