Leg of Lamb on OTG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark R-S:
Looks ovine
icon_smile.gif

I'm new with an OTG, and am a big lamb eater, so could you post more details how you did it?
-Mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I can remember. After all, it was two weeks ago and at my age, that's a long time ago.
icon_smile.gif

It was about a 4.5 pound boneless and netted leg of lamb. I cut off the netting and opened up the meat leaving it in one piece. Inside there were a couple of pockets of fat and some other unappetizing stuff which I cut out. Seasoned the inside and tucked in some flaps of meat sticking out on the sides. Rolled it up as best I could and tied it. My tying technique needs some refining shall we say. Seasoned the outside and cooked it indirect over an empty drip pan at about 400* IIRC. I think I cooked it to about 110* and then seared it all around direct to get some nice color. I think the final temperature of the meat was something like 125-130* Whatever it was, it came out fine and tasted great. A nice change of pace for us. Don't be sheepish, give it a go.

I am trying this exact thing tomorrow except with a bone in 6.5 lb. leg. I was thinking same thing with regard to cooking method. Indirect to about 110-115 and then a quick sear and off the fire. Haven't used the OTG since I got my WSM but am looking forward to it. Was thinking of putting some potatoes in that dry drip pan to serve on the side. Any thoughts about how long they should stay in the kettle?

Wish I could take credit for that picture but I have to say that my leg of lamb came out great. It cooked faster than I expected, only 1.5 hours to an internal of 120 then off to rest and then nice and light pink when sliced. Sorry, no pictures
icon_frown.gif

There are lots of times when I have ideas that I think will work and they only come out ok. Yesterday was one where things came off exactly as planned. Very gratifying and tasty too.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back