Leaky regulator after rebuild?

JamesDinty

So, I just finished my frame repair on my 1000 series. The frame repair came out great thanks to the video in the sticky!!

However when I put everything back together again I fired things up and everything was looking great until I noticed the regulator and hose seemed to be "freezing up". Literally looked like there was frost on it while the grill was running. I suspect it's a leaky regulator but I have never seen this before and it's also possible I assembled things incorrectly.

The regulator seemed fine before I took everything apart. Thoughts?

That can happen under some weather conditions. Especially as the tank gets low on gas
That can happen under some weather conditions. Especially as the tank gets low on gas
Hmmm…. Ok. I just had the tank filled so it’s definitely not low. Todays weather was pretty normal. Mid 70’s with low humidity.

I just read online that the regulator vent could be clogged??? Or possibly the tank was overfilled???

My plan is to give this rebuild to my son so I don’t want to take any safety chances.

I will check for leaks with some soapy water tomorrow just in case.

I would get a new regulator. They don't cost much and aren't hard to replace. They can and do go bad in my experience and it's worth it just for peace of mind. $11.99 and free shipping on AmazonScreenshot_20220614-190052_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure I figured this thing out.....I went out this morning and did a leak test...found no leaks. So I changed tanks, fired it up and no frost anywhere. Temps reached 600 quickly. So I switched back to the original tank....still working perfectly.

Then I recalled just before I hooked up the first tank yesterday, it accidentally was tipped on it's side for a few minutes :eek:. After some on-line reading, this is a big no-no and probably caused the liquid to accumulate at the top of the tank. So the grill was probably drawing in liquid as opposed to gas when I fired it up. After waiting overnight with the tank in the upright position, the liquid likely settled and this morning there were no issues.

Nice Job. It looks like you re-used the original wood. That is very cool. I hope you are planning on putting a swing table on the left hand side.

Nice Job. It looks like you re-used the original wood. That is very cool. I hope you are planning on putting a swing table on the left hand side.
The handle is new wood as the original was beyond repair. But yea the side table is original with just a sanding and stain.

I’m not sure how to add the side table. When I picked this up from someone’s trash there was no side table.

I would look for one on another grill and canibalize it. Those grills are pretty old and they get kicked to the curb pretty often these days. The table consists of two brackets on the back. One for the support rod and one for the pivot rod. It also requires a bracket on the bottom similar to the ones on the flat shelf still on your grill. Then you need the six wood slats or other shelf material. Oh, and the support rod if that is missing as well. Those swing tables come in real handy when grilling and you start running out of room to set stuff. Yours may use the old style support rod that clips into the frame at the bottom or it may use the slide which is much more convenient like the one in the photo below.

20170805 Genesis Redhead Shelf Brackets (3).JPG

Nice job, James! Good to see one more get saved from the scrap heap.

So, Bruce... did some grills have three wider boards for the tables while others had six narrow ones? Would those also have had six wide boards for the bottom shelf instead of twelve narrow ones? I ask because the redhead I found has all wide boards and I assumed someone had changed them.

-John (Boston)

Back