Latin inspired rib recipe

Norman Stein

Hi everyone,

My office charged me with supplying the meat for our annual Cinco De Mayo party.

I really dont have the time to do a large cut, so I decided to do ribs.

Anyone know an appropriate recipe for the occasion?

Thanks in advance..

Norm

Perhaps a mojo marinade. You can buy it but it's much better homemade. Or make a dry rub based on a blend of ground chilies, garlic, onion, a pinch of cinnamon and some marjoram plus some brown sugar and pepper. Salt the ribs first then apply the rub over the salt when the ribs get moist. Make some mojo and use it as a baste once or twice. Take a little of the mojo and make a glaze out of it and glaze the the ribs at the finish. For a sauce: If you'd like to go with a tomato-based but want to tie it in to the theme better then puree a can or two of diced tomatoes in juice along with 1-2 T per can of the rub (without the salt), about a 1/4 c of mojo and a small can of crushed pineapple. Puree all well then bring to a simmer in a pot. Let it reduce till almost as thick as you'd like then taste for seasonings, salt and sweetness. Add a few dashes of Cholula or Tabasco for heat if desired. Serve the ribs cut and plattered with quartered limes strewn about and the sauce on the side.

Just a thought.
icon_smile.gif

I posted my Southwest inspired butt rub in the Rubs, Marinades, etc. forum. It is similar to what Kevin has in mind. I tried it out on spares and liked it better than my other batch of test rub.

There are also a bunch of recipes for Mexican and Southwest sauces in the Rubs, Marinades, etc. forum (including a load from Kevin). Do a search there if you want some other ideas.

Jim

Back