Latest Ribs - Not smoky! used BRITU startup

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
My latest ribs came out only OK...not nearly the quality i am used to...and they were not very smoked.

The main difference was I allowed the WSM to run for about an hour and come down in temp before I added the ribs. I layered the charcoal...some unlit, a full chimney of lit, some more unlit + dry wood chunks (2 hickory, 2 apple). I waited until the wood was burning, but not consumed (all black). Assembled it all, temp shot to 325...but within the hour dropped to 230. Added ribs...they were in the smoke unwrapped for 2.5 hrs.

I typically do NOT let the WSM sit for 1 hr after assemblying...and it is quite smokey when I add the ribs. In this case, there was no visible smoke when I added them.

Thoughts? BRITU method says there is plenty of smoke using this method...I didnt think so.

Hi Jim, I smoked ribs this past Sunday, three 2 lb. slabs, using the BRITU recipe and method provided on this site. I used wood chips, so I added them right before cooking ribs. I had them on for 5 hours, and they turned out great. 2.5 hours doesn't sound long enough.

A lot of folks seem to like to glean pieces-parts from the BRITU, and are often disappointed when the end result doesn't live up to "best in the universe".

When you say "unwrapped for 2.5 hours", I'm assuming you foiled the ribs. The reason for letting the smoke wood become engulfed, and the hour wait before starting to cook is to expose the ribs to only the most delicate smoke, but for the entire cooking time. Foiling them, as in this instance, and you're going to get far less smoke on the ribs than if you threw the wood and ribs on at the same time.

I have gotten by best results with 2.5 hrs in smoke, 1 hr wrapped (with a pineapple, water, vinegar mop), 15-20mins direct while saucing to get them caramelized.

But I put them on right away and will do so from now on. 2 hr prep is a bit much, especially when I like the result with less time.

thx

Jim, did a couple slabs of baby backs yesterday. Used oak for smoke and the Britu recipe. They were very tasty,with just the right tenderness. Mine were in the WSM for better part of 5 hours though.

Also did my first fatty. Do not think I will ever fry sausage again. It was superb!

Bill, try a fattie rolled in Steve Petrone's 4 pepper rub. Outstanding if you like it spicy.Did 3 yestreday along with ribs.

Back