Late model Genesis advice?

JBaker

TVWBB Super Fan
OK, got a friend looking to replace a built in gas grill on his patio. Currently has a rotted out Jenn-Aire installed that served him well over the years, he thinks he can replace it without too much modification with a late model Genesis (2 years old) #62011001 4 burner. These currently sell for around $1K at Lowes, HD, etc.

Your thoughts? Are the recent model Weber Genesis as good as the older? And how about the warranty (I'm betting the grill was never registered, could work out in his favor).

And anything I should be on the lookout for? I'll probably be going to pick up this grill with him if it goes through.

Thanks in advance.

weber 62011001.jpg

We know that there will need to be modifications made on the factory design, removing the legs/underbox, devising a support for the grill. I don't foresee any issues with air supply, venting, etc.

My question is will it be worth doing it with this model grill...longevity, etc.

Time to close up this thread....

I ended up going on a 130 mile round trip this morning to pick up the grill with the new owner.

The grill was purchased from a big box home improvement store for not quite $1200, tax and a cover included. Included were all the manuals, bill of sales, etc. Original purchase was the middle of April 2020. Has not been registered.

Craigslist ad stated it had very little use, igniter has never worked. Always used a match to light the grill. Owner found it very inconvenient, especially with the flavorizer bars in the way of the gas jets. So they never used the flavorizers....

This was picked up for a bit less than 40% of the original purchase price. Certainly not a flipper, but still a reasonable price for home use considering the condition.

Battery was in backwards on the igniter module, 2 wires were disconnected (the 2 white wires). Checked the manual, got everything into place. New battery, starts right up.

Pics:

Attachments

• Without hood.jpg
    Without hood.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 12
  • Hood on.jpg
    Hood on.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Flavorizers.jpg
    Flavorizers.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Wiring Disconnected.jpg
    Wiring Disconnected.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Drip pan.jpg
    Drip pan.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Bagged Match.jpg
    Bagged Match.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 12
And this is what it will be replacing after some modifications. Been in use for over 17 years now, with some very heavy use.

Interior JennAire.jpgOld Install.jpgQuadrant.jpgSide Burner.jpg

That grill looks almost new. Great deal. You could not have bought any new Weber grill for that money.

Back