Last Practice before Comp this weekend

So I have a competition coming up this weekend in Dothan, Alabama. Chicken is my nemesis!!! To me, it is the HARDEST category to cook and get perfect bite-through skin.

Here is my cook from last night. Would love to hear what you guys think!

Started by trimming the thighs. Removed the tendon, blood vein and excess fat. Before wrapping the skin back on, I rubbed the bottom and top with Jack Daniels Chicken Rub, then wrapped the skin back around the thighs.

After I wrapped them up, I then rubbed the tops and around with Plowboys Yard Bird.

I let them sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes, then started 1 whole chimney of Kingsford and broke out my Kettle. While the coals were going, I made a broth-butter bath for the chicken.

I placed them on indirect heat, I don't have temperature gauge on my kettle so I don't know how hot it was, but it was producing a good amount of heat. I used a chunk of Pecan wood.

After 50 minutes, they looked like this.

Once the broth-butter bath was done, I heated up some The Shed Spicy-Mustard sauce in a pan and dipped the thighs in and placed back on the grill for another 30 minutes.

After, I let them rest for 10 minutes.

I tried a piece to see if I achieved bite-through skin, and SUCCESS!

Thanks for looking!

It's funny, because of all the practicing that has been going on, my wife and kiddos are about sick of BBQ!!! HA! Enrico - you are still at the top of the BBQers around with what I have seen on your posts. You Rock it man!

I hear ya brutha! I get crushed in chicken. I hate chicken prep. Looks like a good chew and your skin stayed on. That's a 9.9 in my book. Just remember, the BBQ snobs that become judges and never even owned a cooker. Want all your turn in pieces to look exactly the same. A 1 point deduction from each judge for apperance could be the difference between top ten or top twenty. Good luck in your comp and post your result here.

Back