Last Pork Shoulder Question - Really!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thanks to all who suggested allocating more time. I started at 10:30 PM last night and am hitting the 14 hour mark. I am averaging 236* dome temp. The meat is showing about the mid 180*'s for temp but it looks like it would tear apart right now. I don't need to rush since the guests will get here about 4 - 4:30 PM.

Questions:

Will it overcook and dry out before it hits 190 - 195*? If so, what signs should I look for?

When I pull and put it in the foil, how long can it sit or should it sit prior to serving?

Sorry for all the questions, but with 14+ hours invested and people coming, I would hate to overcook. Thanks as always.

DWL

Doug, it shouldn't dry out at all. I'm betting it might even be done by now, as mine tend to move rather steadily upward from 180 on. And regarding foiling, I foil it whole, wrap it in a towel, and cooler it before pulling. It will stay hot for a couple of hours like that. I kind of like to break it open and start pulling right at the table. It's an irresistable smell and sight to behold. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Doug
I dont know if this is in time for you. You can pull it if your going to Double wrap it in foil.
The temp should continue to climb internally for a while.
What I do is after wrapping,I place in cooler news paper on the bottom ,a sheet of foil on the paper, 2 bricks (pree heated on my gas grill for 1/2 hour), more foil, the roast, towels and then more newspaper to fill up the cooler.
Chris has this info for holding meat.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/storing.html

Thanks guys:

I got a cooler, placed a towel in the bottom, laid in the foil wrapped meat, another towel, second foil wrapped meat and another towel and it sat for another three hours. It was still hot when I pulled the meat to serve.

This was my first overnighter, my first coook longer then 5 hours and it was a huge hit! Damn, that pulled pork was good. My neighbor who grew up in Georgia and Mississippi said he hadn't had it in forever and then said he thought he might go get a WSM! Lots of compliments -- especially from the wife who said the WSM was worth the purchase and the best BBQ I have ever made (been married for 6 yrs. together for 12)! I was a happy man. The Weber Kettle is gettin' lonely.

Thanks again for puttin' up with all my newbie questions.

Keep on smokin'!

DWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back