Last Minute Chicken Thighs And Pork

George Roth

TVWBB Member
Yesterday we made a quick trip to WalMart and at the last minute we picked up a package of chicken thighs. We had a small pork tenderloin in the refrigerator and I thought I would cook something in the WSM. It was kind of a last minute idea.

When I got home I washed and dried the chicken thighs and sprayed a little canola oil on them and rubbed them with BRITU and put them aside. I then rubbed the pork tenderloin and put that aside.

Next, I threw two chunks of hickory in a small bowl of water.

I fired up the WSM with a full chimney of Kingsford.

About a half-hour later--

Assembled the cooker with the charcoal and hickory chunks.

Using an empty, foiled, water pan, I put 2/3 of the thighs on the lower rack and the rest of the thighs with the tenderloin on the upper rack.

My temperature went up to 300 degrees right away and I kept it at around 275 for approximately 2 hours. I then took the tenderloin off and foiled it and left it on the counter in the kitchen.

My temps started to drop down to 250 so I fired up a 2/3 chimney to recharge. After adding the additional charcoal my temps went back to 300/325 and I let everything run for another hour or so. I didn't keep an exact time count.

Results: This was some of the best chicken I have ever made. It is right up there with a regular batch of beer chicken. We have always just done three beer can chickens. Two birds on beer cans stands on top and one horizontal on the lower rack with an onion in the cavity. This is the first time I just used chicken parts on the WSM. I had planned to grill them but when I got home the amount of chicken in the package was too much for my grill grate and I didn't want to have to tend it too closely.

The pork was great as well. We have a couple of meals of left overs in the fridge for this week.

Nothing too tricky here but I just wanted to report on a successful Sunday cook.

George

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Roth:
Nothing too tricky here but I just wanted to report on a successful Sunday cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not too tricky but even the 'not too tricky' can be messed up by the best of cooks (been there!). I really like the last-minute-think-I'll-do-this approach. Cool, isn't it? Just wing it and have a good dinner. (See? Your skill is showing.
icon_smile.gif
)

I enjoyed your story. Thank you for posting it.

Back