Large Cook

Scott A

Hey all, I am still a newbie and am cooking for approx 15 people this weekend. I wanted to do some beer can chickens and ribs. I have a WSM and also a Kettle. How much do you recommend and how would you recommend a plan of attack. Also how long ahead should you cook the chicken and ribs and what do you do with them if it is hours before the meal? Thanks for the help.

Not knowing the make up of your party (men, women and children) you need 4 racks of ribs to give each 3 bones, and two chickens if they are 8 pieced so each could have 1 piece.
You know the make up of the crowd and can increase racks and chickens if you believe it would be needed.

I would do the ribs early and finsh chicken closer to the meal. Ribs can be taken to about 80 to 85 percent done and cooled. When you reheat them they would finish, you can glaze at this point.
Jim

Do I need to do the ribs first and then the chicken separately? Also I am assuming a good ratio for ribs is 3-4 per person and that a typical rack has 11 bones?

Back