Lamp Mod Question

Marty W

TVWBB Member
I know several people have installed this mod to run the probe wires into the cooking chamber but I never liked to idea of drilling a new hole into the middle section. I have seem other mods (Guru Guys)have one that replaces one of the grill brackets bolts. The problem with that is the Maverick probes will not go through the eyelet because it is only a 1/4" hole. So I started thinking instead of drilling a new hole through the middle section what if I just enlarged the hole for the support bracket to 3/8" and use the lamp mod.

The concern I would have is the lamp post going to be strong enough to support the cooking grate bracket? What do you all think?

Thats what I did, the only thing is I used 1/4 inch ID lamp stuff but you have to drill the hole out to 1/2 for it to fit through. I used the exisitng grate hole. Had to drill the cooker and the grate bracket. I also added handles at the same time to the grate bracket holes. It worked out great. There is a post on here somewhere with some pictures of the lamp wire tube and handles using the existing grate bracket holes. I did the same thing and it looks the same. as far as the maverick probes fitting through, I dont know, mine is not here yet but I understand that they will fit

The photo Tanner is talking about is likely mine but I'm not the only one who has done it this way. The lamp rod I used is 1/4" ID 3/8" OD not 1/2 inch and yes there is all the strength you need to lift the mid section with meat and water whatever....also

Now...this worked for me without any problems but you can decide for yourself... The BBQ Guru grommet is only marginally too small for the Maverick 732 probe. It is a very neat grommet in appearance and I wanted to use it if possible for another application. I placed each probe in my vice..squeezed the widest part of the crimp marginally and gently without crushing the crimp and the probes now pass right through the grommet. They are still strongly attached with no issues. You can make this work. If you want more pictures send me a pm.

Like Bob, I drilled the extra hole using painters tape and glad I did. When you consider you have to use a drill to expand the grill bolt area you might as well start with a fresh hole and not have to be concerned with what your grate sits on.

Also....you can put the hole where you want it for the best convenience....mine was midway between the grate bolts since I hang my ET732 on the handles where the grate bolts are.

100_0876_Medium_.JPG

Back