lamb

James Satriano

Hello all:

I noticed that one type of meat is conspicuously absent from the major listing for the wsm, lamb. grilled lamb is great, anyone ever smoke it? If so, what were the results.

I do lamb quite often on the rotis or in the smoker. Leg, shoulder, and shanks are all good contenders. I've posted occasionally to this section (I think) and to the Other Meats and Rubs, Marinades... sections.

I had a few lamb legs thaw on me when we lost power in last year's hurricanes. All of those I smoked. Though I prefer lamb medium-rare, I smoked all fo these to 170 as I was feeding a lot of people, many of whom weren't sure about lamb (in the Florida countryside people did not grow up eating lamb). It went over very well with all; moist, smoky, tender. If you like lamb, I definitely recommend smoking it.

Btw, forgot to add to the above--rack of lamb is nice on the smoker. If you marinate, rub with something complementary, then stick in the smoker, you can take the racks to just shy of rare then drop the grate to the coal level for a finishing sear. (See Chris's desciption of that if you're unfamiliar at Cooking/Beef/Tri-tip)

My wife and I have lamb on the grill about every 2 weeks. It is too bad that we Americans don't appreciate this delightful treat. First of all I am blessed with a great independant butcher who raises organic free range beef, pork and lamb. Leg of lamb is best for smoking. a rack of lamb or chops are great to grill, but dry out when smoked.
We take a leg, preferably with the bone in, stud it with sliced garlic, and marianate in olive oil, red wine, salt, pepper, Herbs de Provance and a bay leaf. Fire up the smoker with the water pan full and we smoke with a combo of hickory and mesquite. I use a mop to keep the meat moist. About an hour or so before it is done I put my fav Bar Be Cue sauce and smoke it in. Otherwise treat is as any roast-beef or pork. Yummy

Growing up with a british mother, we ate a LOT of lamb. I think the problem people have, unfortunetly, is that most "lamb" is really mutton, and strong flavored.
If I had a reliable source of real lamb, a butter-flyed leg, no pan, Santa maria style, sounds like no leftovers!

Would that it were so. I would love to get mutton.

Actually, lamb at the supermarket is all young and much more mildly flavored than the lamb I had when I was growing up. There was more than general agreement by lamb producers to quit raising lamb to an older age back in the 70s. Many people (who haven't grown up with it) find it 'strong'. I would simply call it distinctive. Surely you recall lamb cuts being much larger in the 60s.

But nothing tastes like it did. Commodity pork and beef are very bland compared to pastured pork and grass-fed and -finished beef.

Kevin,
Yes, that ton of "lamb" my mother fed me-was back in the 60's! Lamb chops the size of pork chops. Strong tasting? Yes, thats why I'm so picky these days.

Back