Lamb in Frances' rain

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Leg of lamb is on. I dumped a full load of lit kingsford on 1/2 ring full of coals. All vents open 100%, sand in the pan. Guess what? In the rain my temps went from 270 to 250 ! ! !

I dumped a second load of lit coals and finally got to 308.

Hey Steve, if the weather in Charleston is a forecast of what is to come for you, you've got lots more rain on the way.

What part of Charlotte do you live in? I live in Salisbury every other weekend and of course drive through the "Queen City" going back and forth. Love 485 for the past year. 77 and 85 the year before that were terrible.

Steve,
What type of wood if any do you use when cooking the lamb? That sounds really good. I have done a leg of lamb on the gasser and put fresh rosemary twigs in the fire for smoke and it turned out excellent. How did yours turn out? Were you able to hold the temps after adding addition coals?

Chris, I am in south Charlotte. The traffic is bad enough 'in' Charlotte. 77 & 85 can be very tough.

Larry, I held about 300 after the second load of coals. This time , I used peach from SC orchards and cherry plus hickory.
This was a quick project. I used garlic powder, onion powder, sage, oregano, rosemary, thyme and black pepper. Cooking time about 2 1/2 hours. I took it to 135 rested 10 min. went to 145. The result was great. I cannot seem to mess up a costco boneless leg of lamb. They really are a great change of pace.

Steve,
Lucky you, with a BBQ Galore close by. I wouldn't buy everything I needed there, but they sure are handy when you need something and don't want to wait on an Amazon order. I've stopped there more than once on my trips from Charleston to Salisbury.
Thinking about buying one of their Texas Charcoal Grills for my grilling needs and retiring my very old Weber. I know that kind of talk is a sacrilege around this site.

Chris, if you haven't tried peach wood, stop at an orchard-they will have a pile or two of trimmings for the asking. One of the guys on this site got me started on it. It is very good.If that is the grill I remember, it looked like a nice grill. Maybe a little pricey. I think HD may have something you want to look at.They had an adjustable height grill with clean out if I remember correctly. I have been using an old Charbroil barrel grill-for $99 it has been well used.

I'll do that. Boone Hall Plantation is right down the road from me, and they have peach orchards. I check out the trees everytime I drive past. Just need to stop and ask before they trim them and throw everything away.

What you really want is LAST years trimmings-they'll be piled up somewhere. They are aged and ready to use.

I just left HD-they did not have a charcoal grill in stock that I think you would be interested in.

BBQ's Galore has the Texas grills reduced-$399?
They are nice grills-Rust would be about the only concern. Height adj., coal compartments, and easy clean drawer.

I'll check the HD(s) down here in "Chucktown" to see if they have it. If not, I pass one in Rock Hill, two (I think) in Chrlotte, and another one in Kanapolis on my way "home" to Salisbury.

Yea, $399 on sale!?! I keep talking myself out of that one. Then I turn on the Food Network and see someone using it. Then I want it again.

Went to Williams-Sonoma here (Charleston) over the weekend, they had put their charcoal grill on sale for $349. All sold out. It's the "very" big brother to the one you are talking about at HD.

All their grilling supplies had been put on sale also. Also, sold out. I guess that's what a couple of tropical storms/hurricanes, some days without power, and more storms on the way will do for a sale.

p.s. Hope I didn't make you buy anything at BBQ Galore by reminding you that it was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back