Ladies and Gents! I have found a matching gray color combo! Not high heat :(

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all. I know we have all tried to find that perfect gray high heat color to restore the outside of cook boxes, end caps of hoods, and rusty floors. Well through lots of trial and error I have accidentally come across a really good mix. If any of you have found a high heat match please let me know. I saw the thread about 6 months a go regarding gray paint but no match was found in that thread. Well Bruce got me hooked on the 2X cover by Rustoleum many moons a go when I was resto'ing old school grills and painting frames. This paint really covers well.....like 2X well .....Most of the grills that I pick up have a real mess on the side of the cook box and this makes a high dollar flip tricky. The baked on grease cannot be cleaned and it looks horrible up against a spotless clean restored grill so I just cant leave it that way. Even though I am using a non high heat paint, if I were to buy a used grill for $400 I would prefer it looked clean and fresh vs all greased up and splotchy. Even if my paint eventually peels it could easily be touched up. Thats just my position on this....I might get some kick back from you pro's on this one. I take a medium grit sandpaper and sand the side of the cookbox to where the top layer of the gray paint and most of the dark brown grease stains are really faded and have a good scuff on them trying not to sand all the way down to aluminum. I leave the paint on because it gives me the correct texture once I spray over it. I then wipe with a microfiber towel and I do not use any prep liquid like acetone or Simple Green.....just scuffed and dry. Here comes the magic :) ..... I take the gloss dark gray and spray on a super light coat, only enough to barely cover and let that dry. After about 40 min or so I spray on a final coat with the Charcoal Gray in ( satin ). I stress both coats as light as you can. If you build coats of paint it will for sure peel quicker. The first color ( dark gray ) ironically is not a perfect match but will give you the base and some gloss in your base. The second color ( charcoal gray ) in the satin knocks down the gloss and is a darn near perfect color match when applied over the other color. This second color provides the warm rich tones. In the end the grill will look like new. I test run my grills to max temp before selling and none have peeled during a couple of heat cycles. Just sanding the side of the box already makes it look 70 percent better but after paint it looks awesome.
I want to be very very clear......I am just sharing a really good color match here. I completely understand it is not high heat and that it might peel down the road. So just experiment with this good color match and use it if you have a situation that it will improve. See pic

Attachments

• 20240801_171311.jpg
    20240801_171311.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 26
Curious how it looks if you run a heat cycle on it. Worth trying and posting the results. My expectation is that it would burn in the first cycle and look bad nearly instantly, but maybe I'm wrong

I guess u skimmed my very long ramble.....I always heat cycle my grills before selling and the paint survives a max temp run w no problem. We have to understand that the idea is to improve on a real nasty looking cook box. In my humble opinion, even if the paint does slowly deteriorate it might still look better than it did prior to sanding and painting. I can't tell you it will last....but I can tell you it's a great match.

Jim. That would be an awesome rehab technique. But, I would love to see what it looks like after a half dozen good cooks or so. But I am really surprised that it doesn't simply bubble and peel on your burn in if you are getting the grill up over 500 plus.

I guess u skimmed my very long ramble.....I always heat cycle my grills before selling and the paint survives a max temp run w no problem. We have to understand that the idea is to improve on a real nasty looking cook box. In my humble opinion, even if the paint does slowly deteriorate it might still look better than it did prior to sanding and painting. I can't tell you it will last....but I can tell you it's a great match.
I misunderstood that you had tested with these ones. I reread and see the misunderstanding. You should try it on a personal grill and see how it holds up down the road. the color match and work deserves kudos for sure!

Yes I test my resto's up to 550 so that is usually a 30 to 40 min burn. I have had situations where I have run em a few times for dialing in or tuning. So far I haven't seen any peeling. I suspect when my grills are under a cover on a damp cold day they might start peeling. Maybe the next one I sell I will ask the buyer to send a pick after a month of cooks. I wish I had taken a before and after pic. That's what makes this incorrect idea worth the squeeze.

Ok I feel compelled to send another pic. I also wanted to note that I do as little painting as possible and will always clean over paint if its an option. Most importantly I never paint the hood end caps, only the left, right, and skinny front portion of the box. I should note by doing it this way the painted portion of the box is a slight mismatch to the end cap of the hood but an extreme makeover from the heavily grease splattered box that I started with. So all that I am saying is if you have a backyard grill or a drinkin buddies grill and wanna give it a shot.....go for it. As for the rusty bits on the bottom shelf I prefer to max out at satin sheen with no gloss added at all.....Satin is better at hiding and gloss screams out the defects. So just use the Charcoal Gray for the bottom shelf or Black Elegance is another good match.

Attachments

• 20240803_154530.jpg
    20240803_154530.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 12
Ha! Well thats just looks......we dont really know about performance......you guys are all pro's and know how to use this information.

I would suggest instead of using sandpaper, to use something like these. They last a long time and are great for roughing up textured surfaces, to give added bite to the new paint. Especially if you’re just going to freshen up the paint on the frames. They make several different “grits” the red is the more aggressive grit.

Attachments

• IMG_7176.png
    IMG_7176.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 6

Back