Kosher Brisket??

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
Hi Folks. I've cooked brisket, but never a kosher brisket, which I've been asked by a friend to try. Does anyone have any advice as to how a kosher brisket may cook differently than a non-kosher brisket (other than needing a fatter wallet)? For example, I know differences in grades of brisket changes how it responds to cooking methods. But what about kosher?

Mordechai - you still posting around here? I know you do kosher briskets... By following the normal procedures of the advice on these boards, do you get good results? Or do you modify it at all (cooking temps/times, etc.)?

I probably also need advice from folks who have done both, since I'm looking for a comparison.

Thanks in advance, folks...

Hi,

There should be no difference in how the brisket is cooked. But,if the person requesting the brisket is Orthodox then he cannot eat anything cooked on a smoker that has had non-kosher meat cooked on it. Especially pork.

Al

There won't be any difference in cooking times, only variance on time if it's just the flat or whole.

Yes, if there's ever been non kosher meat of any kind (pork and shellfish are forbidden, this excluding fish) on your smoker, and your friend is strict, you will have to either kosher the grates (if there is such a thing), or use a new smoker. You would then have to kosher the new smoker.

thanks folks.

yes, I'm aware that the smoker, knives, cutting board, and anything else remotely near it can't be near anything that wasn't kosher or dairy or anything else... got that part covered. This is actually for me at the moment, and is a dry run before cooking a kosher brisket for someone within an all koshered cooking environment. Thanks for the thoughts, all, though.

Regarding the taste... is kosher beef any different from regular? For example, kosher chicken is definitely different from non kosher, due to the salting and koshering process. Is this noticable in kosher beef? (has anyone else been able to say "kosher" more in a single sentence?)

anyhow, just curious about all of this...

The word "kosher" figurativly means clean.
The cattle is slaughtered by cutting the jugular and allowing the animal to quickly bleed out. The blood was considered un-clean.

After butchering, the meat is coated with Koshering salt to draw out any remaining blood. This tends to act somewhat like brining. Whether or not it changes the final product as far as tenderness etc. is up for debate.

Just make sure it's not a corned beef brisket. I bought a "kosher" brisket on close out and it actually was a corned beef brisket. It came out like a smoked salt lick.

Back