Knob question for old school 1000.....it has me scratchin my head

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Ok every once in a while one of my flippers just blocks me in every direction I turn and the grill almost refuses to go back into service. So I have a gorgeous 1000 black hood with gray durawood 95 percent of the way done and its been pre sold 2 months a go. I dont normally take so long to complete a project but the sand blaster held onto the cook box and end caps for a month due to covid issues in his shop. Long story short I fired the ole gal up tonight for a nice burn off....leak check.....temp check.....flame check......etc. The only issue I had was the knobs were bottoming out on the control panel :( ..... It operates pretty nice when I am not running the grill but the bottom line is the knobs should be a bit higher off of the panel. Now I seem to remember....correct me if I am wrong.....arent there some long stem old school knobs for some of the old 1000's? I know the manifold valve stems can be short medium and long but I swear I have seen extra long knobs.....am I crazy? All that said....is there a stop gap fix that I can do to use the OEM knobs that I have installed right now? They are the exact same length as the other 30 knobs I have laying around and they are original 1000 knobs.....but I cant say that they were original to this grill....just that they were on this grill when I got it. I didnt have time to take the control panel off tonight and figure out a fix....but maybe a washer or something can raise the control knob just enough while still getting bite ..........I dunno....have u guys ever come across this issue?

Is there a chance that you mixed up valves from a silver B into a x000 manifold?

The newer valves look close, but are shorter.

The one I'm holding is from a silver B. The one to the right is from a x000

20220303_191055.jpg

Well anything is possible. I usually keep all the parts from a grill that I tear down in one big tub. That said you never know if they have been modified by the previous owner. I will remove the control panel tomorrow and see whats going on......I am pretty sure its an old school 1000 manifold......she sure burned like one. She screamed up to 600 like a champ.

Are the manifold support hooks supporting the manifold under the control panel? The early one was a metal S-shaped bracket that could easily fall out and get lost, the later Silvers were hooks that were securely attached to the igniter xmember.

Early bracket:

1646364558734.png

Last edited:
Are the manifold support hooks supporting the manifold under the control panel? The early one was a metal S-shaped bracket that could easily fall out and get lost.
I think I've seen two sizes of the metal S hooks. I can't get to my stash tonight, but that might be something to check.

That was the first thing I looked for.....I have had this grill completely apart and back together......I looked underneath to see if the manifold was sagging as I pushed the knobs and it was not sagging at all. It was dark out but I dint not see the support bracket.

I have another 1000 in my shop that I can compare with.....I actually have two of them...huh. I might just swap the manifold to get this grill gone so I can get on with my other projects. But I will compare them to see if the valve shafts are the same height. There was zero sag in the manifold when pushing the knobs.....I guess the manifold is incorrect for this grill....I will take pics tomorrow.....I seem to remember it being the round bodied manifold.

Jim, let us know what you find out. I have a grill with a similar problem where only the first knob bottoms out and the rest are fine. Manifold bracket is in place, right knobs, manifold etc. I haven't had time to look into it yet, but I have to assume that over the years something, somewhere has been bent down or sagged for this to happen.

It might be the support bracket got swapped.

I have three different ones and I don't remember what came from where. I have a mix of x000 and silver Bs from different years.

Note the inside width of the brackets are different.

20220303_213430.jpg

Well anything is possible. I usually keep all the parts from a grill that I tear down in one big tub. That said you never know if they have been modified by the previous owner. I will remove the control panel tomorrow and see whats going on......I am pretty sure its an old school 1000 manifold......she sure burned like one. She screamed up to 600 like a champ.
The Silver valves were bolt-thru with a square manifold, the early Genesis valves were pipe thread with a round manifold. Hard to imagine you got them mixed up, though...the valves and manifolds are spaced differently and not interchangeable whatsoever. But I don't know everything, even though my wife thinks I do (got the T-shirt to prove it!)

The Silver valves are bolt-thru with a square manifold, the early Genesis valves were pipe thread with a round manifold.
My DD date code Silver B has a round manifold and uses a support bracket like one of the ones above.

My DU date code silver and DU code gold have square manifolds and are held in place with a spring like wire support.

My DD date code Silver B has a round manifold and uses a support bracket like one of the ones above.

My DU date code silver and DU code gold have square manifolds and are held in place with a spring like wire support.
Told ya I didn't know it all! Got pictures? Love to see 'em! I'm telling you, we all gotta get together and put together some sort of spotter's guide or ID book!

But will you agree that the valve and manifold spacing is different between Silvers and Gennies?

EDIT: DD = 2000
DU = 2002

Last edited:
It might be the support bracket got swapped.

I have three different ones and I don't remember what came from where. I have a mix of x000 and silver Bs from different years.

Note the inside width of the brackets are different.

View attachment 46497
Anything is a possible explanation at this point. Those brackets are definitely all different. Running changes to the design? Maybe. Specific bracket for specific grill? Also a possibility.

But will you agree that the valve and manifold spacing is different between Silvers and Gennies?
Absolutely. And silver valve stems are shorter.

Bruce taught me that last year and I haven't (yet) forgotten.

Told ya I didn't know it all! Got pictures? Love to see 'em! I'm telling you, we all gotta get together and put together some sort of spotter's guide or ID book!
Square from a DU silver B. Has the hook supports.
Round from a DD silver B. Uses an S Bracket.

20220303_221712.jpg

Trying to think...

On my 1998, I was missing that bracket and I used SS aircraft safety wire to support the manifold, Bruce says zip ties work, too, but I had a spool of the safety wire on hand from my stint at Generous Electric. My valves were dragging on the control panel, but I've got three other vintage grills from that era so I could be mixing them up. All that bracket is intended to do is to keep the manifold supported when you push down on the valve to turn it so you don't bend the manifold down (that part of the cookbox that it is attached to is thin cast aluminum and I can imagine that when it gets hot it deflects and bends over time.

Absolutely. And silver valve stems are shorter.

Bruce taught me that last year and I haven't (yet) forgotten.
Dan, aren't you the one that posted a link for gas valve stem extenders? That could be an easy fix for the problem

Back