Knife sharpeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
Morning all and a Happy Father's Day to those to whom it applies. All of this talk reminded me of a question for the group. I only have 3 serrated-edge knives in my collection. All Henkels,one 8" and 2 5". I am looking for an inexpensive sharpener for them. I don't want to invest a bunch of money in an electric for only 3 knives that may only need sharpening yearly.

In my experience, the inexpensive knife sharpeners are crap. Especially so for serrated edge knives. (YMMV)

If you expect to only need to sharpen your knives once a year, consider sending them out to a sharpening service. Henkels are high quality knives and deserve a professional sharpening job.

Anyone ever use the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Kit? I've only heard what a saleman told me...basically fool proof. At around $60 I need more than the salesman's info. I also need a sharpener but don't want to spend the money on junk.

c'yaa
Carlos

I have one, purchased primarily to sharpen my hunting knives for skinning, etc. I think they are excellent, but hesitate to bring them out at my camp because everyone else wants me to sharpen their's. I don't know if it's absolutely foolproof to use but it is very easy to maintain the correct angle which is a must.

I think you would like it. Check some on-line sources, because I remember a price around $47.

Paul

For all practicable home-sharpening purposes, serrated knives should be viewed as disposable. Like Roman candles, each shot in their short life is less spectacular than the preceding one. There are no electrical sharpening devices short of linen buffing wheels and assorted abrasive compounds that can recharge them, and these usually belong to wood carvers and professional knife sharpeners.

In my opinion, if you aspire to the responsibility of maintaining your own knives, avoid serrated edges, stainless steel blades and electrical sharpeners regardless of the brand.

I have a drop point hunting knife from cutco which has their version of serrated. I use it to remove backstrap, primarily, because the blade rubs against the spine of the deer as you cut. This would quickly dull the blade of my other knives. The cutco will go a full season which may mean up to 12 cleanings. You can ship it back and for $5 they will sharpen and return it to you with no added shipping charges.

I have not attempted to sharpen a serrated knife, but Spyderco is supposed to be designed for this and they make an excellent knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back