Knife Sharpeners?

I have quite a bit of sharpening supplies mostly used for woodworking tools. For larger kitchen knives, I use my Tormek. I use the strop on the Tormek for maintenance.

For smaller knives, I usually use a duo sharp diamond plate, course on one side and fine on the other.

However, if my primary use was for kitchen knives and I didn't have the other stuff, I'd strongly consider a Work Sharp Knife and Tool sharpener made by Darex. I have a Work Sharp 3000 tool sharpener that I use exclusively for chisels and it works really well. I suspect the knife sharpener is good too, but never used it.

http://www.worksharptools.com/...virtuemart&Itemid=90

I'm pretty stoked i just ordered my xmas present to myself
icon_wink.gif
.... Apex Edge Pro Sharpening System

Originally posted by Marc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- that looks like a great system.
It does except the sharpening angle range (unless I miss read) is 15 to 30 degrees: that would be an issue with some of the Japanese blades. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, it does appear to have that limitation.

That said, I do like the design in that it holds the knife so you can work on both sides and it seems a little easier to set the angles that are available..

Marc and Ray,
you are correct about the 15* to 30*. The angle are set and marked on the cross bar. It has pin holes to help the locking screws. Tom

Originally posted by r benash:
Tom - that looks like a great system.

This does look pretty nice, but for $250.00 you can buy an Edgepro for quite a bit less and from what I am hearing that is a superior product.

An overview of sharpening systems is in Chad Ward's book "An Edge in the Kitchen" or at least see his online article at: http://forums.egullet.org/inde...ance-and-sharpening/

One of the more cost effective ways to get into hands on sharpening is with sand paper and a mouse pad. A tutorial is here: http://www.knivesshipfree.com/...s.php?pID=4&CDpath=0

and a description:

http://zknives.com/knives/arti...dpapermousepad.shtml

I use a belt sander with multiple grit sanding belts followed by a leather belt.

I just skimmed through this thread, and didn't see the Wusthof Precision Edge sharpener.

http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-...id=1329958452&sr=8-2

My only other experience is with the typical supermarket/Target Chef's choice selections, so this is not a deep recommendation. However, this thing rules for $20-30.

First time I used it, a year ago, on our junk Harris Teeter knives (wedding present), I thought I was doing something wrong, as it made this horrid sound and there were little metal filings all over the counter.

Then I felt the edge, and bled.

Sharpest knife I've ever used, and it was my POS chef's knife. That includes after having them ground on an electric sharpener. A year later, and 1-2 times a week use on 10+ knives, the thing still leaves filings as it reforms the edge, and quick swipe through the finishing stone leaves a silky razor edge.

Might be worth taking a look.

Originally posted by Tom Walch:
Marc and Ray,
you are correct about the 15* to 30*. The angle are set and marked on the cross bar. It has pin holes to help the locking screws. Tom

My EdgePro has markings for 10, 15, 18, 21, and 24 degree angles. 10 is as low as it goes, but you could use it for even higher (>30) angles if you wanted it to

This is a very interesting thread. Unless I've missed it, no one is talking about any electrical sharpeners.

I am in the market for a new knife that will slice meat very thin. After talking with an executive chef, she recommended a Henckel 8" classic model (best steel etc.) with an electric Tri-Hone system. I don't have the time or inclination to learn the fine art of knife sharping but the price is approx. $100 for the knife sharpener. Not a bad deal if it works as advertised.

Not trying to hijack, just trying to learn. Thanks!

After talking with an executive chef, she recommended a Henckel 8" classic model (best steel etc.)
Best steel? Not in my opinion. Moreover, like many other European and American blades, the blade is too thick. It is, after all, not a slicer but rather a chefs knife.

I'm not a fan but a Forschner slicer would serve you better if you are looking for a slicer. (I prefer Japanese forged blades myself - they are rather thin but quite hard.)

Unless you are going to use actual sharpening stones the learning curve for non-electric sharpeners is not a big deal. The problem, imo, is that electrics take off too much metal, one, and two, the angle(s) at which they sharpen cannot be altered (also a problem with some sharpening systems). The too-much-metal issue is an especial problem with softer steel blends, like that used in the Forschner noted above. Still, if you rather go with an electric it's not like you'll be likely to ruin the knife - just, perhaps, shorten its life.

[

I searched here for the above and only found an applicable thread from 2009. I have Globals and am in dire need of a sharpener. Is there anything new/better/CHEAPER than the EdgePro?

Thanks,

Hey the best one I have used for jap knives is minosharp by GLOBAL great device reasonable price no need professional sharping
Great investmet

After talking with an executive chef, she recommended a Henckel 8" classic model (best steel etc.)

At 8 inches she probably means a Chef's knife. A Chef's knife (esp. at 8 inches) is not a first choice to slice meat especially larger cuts like brisket or roasts.

A 12 inch slicer would be more appropriate.

Henkels is probably your average German/Western steel... most likely 440A or X50CrMo15. Nothing special but serviceable and used in the food industry more often than not. If you want to look at commercial less expensive brands with similar steel quality, look at Dexter Russell, Update International, or Forschner.

For a slicer that most people do not use often (compared to a Chef's knife) there's really no need to spend a lot. But upgrades from there are Japanese knives, which use thinner and harder steel alloys but can be more finicky to sharpen for the average person.

Cutlery and More has decent selections or look at Restaurant Supply stores for the commercial brands. Dexter Russell is a budget slicer that works. This one at $11 is decent if kept sharp. Dexter Slicer

All knives dull and need maintenance regardless of brand. Some dull faster than others and looking into the appropriate methods to maintain it is advised.

Chad's book linked above is a good read and can be read in a few days. Check your library for a copy.

btw, I'm not an exec chef just a line cook but we usually do most of the kitchen knife/prep work.

Back