Kingsford Mesquite

Bill Mengel

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone used this on a long cook? If so how did you like it? I'm wondering if I ad wood or not. I'm cooking a butt and my wife picked up the Kingsford mesquite, so I figure what the heck it sounds good anyways. The only mesquite I have to ad is a small pack of pellets, Would I even need it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Mengel:
Would I even need it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Probably not. Everyone has different tastes but I'd err on the side of caution this first time. If you decide the meat could've been smokier you could add some next cook.

Thanks Jim, do they ad wood wile useing it? To tell you the truth I've never even used mesquite for smoke wood. Kevin I seem to like a little more smokey flavor than alot of posters on this board. At least I seem to use more wood chunks. Maybe I'll be able to tell by how strong the smell is once its going.Thinking about it I don't remember ever over smoking a butt. Can it be done? If so, is the inside meat ok?

I, too. like more smoke than most. There's no harm in adding some more if that's to your taste as well. 'Over-smoking' is a matter of perspective to some degree, but there is a point where the smoke taste can overwhelm the taste of the meat and/or the rub. Where that point starts is open for debate but I think at some point on a continuum, were you to taste progressively smokier meat samples, you'd arrive at a sample where the smoke became virtually all you'd taste.

Imo, butts are harder to over-smoke (large, bone-in ones anyway) because of their size and thickness. I think at least some people could find a butt over-smoked (just one teeny piece of wood would be too much for my Cuban friends down the road), but since you like more smoke than most anyway go for it. Worst case scenario, imo, is that while the interior would be fine you might lose the taste of the rub. One thing to note though: mesquite, like black walnut and a couple others can taste bitter if excessive, even before the point of 'over-smoking'. You might want to add a lighter or sweeter wood.

Back