Kingsford Lump

Mike Graef

TVWBB Member
Has any one cooked with Kingsford lump? I have been having a tough time finding lump of any kind in Denver and came across this at Target so I bought 40 lbs.

Also, this will be my first lump cook, overnighter with about 14 lbs of Butts. Any advice, or should I just minion the same way as I do with briquets?

thanks,

Personally I like the Royal Oak lump which can be found at wal mart and big green egg..seems to spark less than kingsford.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Graef:
Has any one cooked with Kingsford lump? I have been having a tough time finding lump of any kind in Denver and came across this at Target so I bought 40 lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never used the K lump, but I have heard it sparks a lot in the chimney, but settles down when in the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, this will be my first lump cook, overnighter with about 14 lbs of Butts. Any advice, or should I just minion the same way as I do with briquets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use only lump, and always use the Minion Method. I make sure the lump is packed as tightly as possible in the ring along with some chunks of smoke wood - hickory and apple when I do pork. A half to full chimney of lit lump dumped on top and you'll be off to the races. In my experience, you should get 10+ hours of burn time out of one ring. Make sure you keep the water pan topped off (if you're using water). I have a 1 gallon fruit juice container I keep handy, along with a section of PVC pipe. I can add water from the container through the section of pipe into the water pan without disassembling the WSM or spilling.
Remember to catch your temps on the way up.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks, I will check in on wal-mart, have only been once (if you can believe that).

Clark, thanks for the Minion advice, I have done numerous briquet Minion smokes, but was wondering about the lump difference. Appreciate it.

I have only used a mixture of kingsford and RO lump so that's why the followup question.

And I start w/ 8-15 briquets depending...

Harbor, a half to whole chimney of lit lump to start with? That seems like a lot...what if you started with briquets?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Draper:
I have only used a mixture of kingsford and RO lump so that's why the followup question.

And I start w/ 8-15 briquets depending...

Harbor, a half to whole chimney of lit lump to start with? That seems like a lot...what if you started with briquets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Couldn't tell you abou starting with briquettes, I haven't used them in years, since I started using lump.
I have had good success with the amount of lit I start with, but it's all a matter of preference. Your mileage may vary.

I typically use lit briquettes for minion starts. I am using the clay pot nested inside the stock pan rather than water, so I have to be more careful than those that use water to make sure I don't overshoot my target temp. I typically use about 18-20 lit K briquettes to get started. If it is cold outside or if I am doing a higher heat cook, then I use a few extra lit briquettes. If you want strong smoke flavor then cut back a little on the lit so the temps come up more slowly.

When you are getting started, take some good notes on how you started your fire and how your cooker responded. Eventually it will be second nature. Individual cookers will vary a bit, and your cooker will tend to run a little hot when it is new.

Back