Kinda Carolina Rib Sauce

Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
Would this recipe keep OK if bottled and in the fridge (assuming fridge is even necessary)?
IMO, Yep, would keep just fine in the fridge for you.
icon_wink.gif

Stopped by the store last night to get some Cholula to make the sauce because all i had at home was the Garlic Cholula. All they had was the garlic flavor too.
So i thought about subbing with chipotle or other chile powder for heat. What do you think?

Paul

Came out great Kevin. Good lesson in there (at least for me) balancing the sugar and the water additions to adjust acidity. Ended up adding 1/2 cup of water.

Paul

Keep it in mind for salad dressings/vinaigrettes, etc., as well. Sugar will round acidity but not cut it appreciably. Adding sugar (or another sweetener alone) can - eventually - mask acidity but make the results cloying, and because of all that sugar make the flavor profile rather flat. (This is one of the reasons I dislike commercial Q sauces.) Using water (or another neutral liquid) along with sugar keeps the profile brighter and broader.

I know this is kind of an old topic and this may be a bit of a thread hijack but is there a red sauce version of this that would go well with brisket? I really like this sauce for pork and would like to make a nice sauce to go with brisket (perhaps something to add on top of/mix into some chopped point).

-Don

I don't make a red version of this but it wouldn't be difficult. One would simply add either tomato purée (I'd suggest getting canned diced tomatoes in juice and puréeing them rather than buying canned tomato purée) or ketchup of a mix of the two. This would better done before any sweetening is added, then adjust sweetness from there. If desired, add some rub, or add the principle ketchup flavorings - coriander, onion, garlic, allspice, ginger, clove.

Kevin, I've enjoyed this sauce quite a bit,on both ribs and chicken. Really like the light flavor. However, this is a kinda-Carolina sauce. How about a really-Carolina mustard sauce, something a little more stout/thick. Thinking more for pulled pork than this sauce, which worked great for some ribs that had a strong dry rub and didn't need a ton of sauce.

As a note, your advice in another thread of mine regarding ribs helped tremendously. Made bad ribs, posted issues, you and others responded, tried again and got lots of compliments.

Thanks, Bryan

Good. I am glad I was able to help.

As for the sauce I can write you one that is 'stout' and 'thick' - but would not be one you would find in SC. I loathe the mustard sauces there and do not make anything like them. I can't stand the cheap yellow mustard thing nor can I tolerate all the sugar used. (I was HUGELY disappointed when first going to Maurice's a bazillion years ago. Their pulled pork, to me: too-sweet-cheap-mustard-glop-on-a-plate.)

A mustard sauce, yes, I do on occasion (often, actually, with smoked turkey). But not an SC one I'm afraid.

I'd be very interested in your mustard sauce too, Kevin. I've tried probably 25 or more recipes over the years and couldn't stand any of them, even though a couple did call for Dijon. Yellow mustard isn't for me either.

By the way, that Roland Extra Strong Dijon Mustard (Whole Foods, for one) that you recommended is wonderful. It leaves Major Grey's in the dust.

Rita

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this recipe. Battled 12 degree temps yesterday to make pulled pork and gave your sauce a shot. My Sister in Law exclusively used it on the pork with no other sauce. I used it along with a sweet red BBQ sauce and then I mixed it with the rest of the pork I pulled as a finishing sauce. It made way more than I needed and I even sent my Sister in Law home with some with leftovers, Ken

Back