Kickin' It Up A Notch!

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Last weekend I did a couple minor cooks on the WSM and Chargriller (CG). This weekend I am "kickin' it up a notch!" (Sorry Emeril!
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Tonight, I will be smoking a 9 lb. butt and a 5 lb. brisket (or as some would call a brisket that small, as "Brisquito"
icon_smile.gif
) These will be done on the WSM beginning at about 9pm this evening.

Saturday around 11am I will begin my rib, chicken and sausage smoke on the CG. (I have a few people coming over
icon_smile.gif
) BTW, my guests are true Hoosiers; their idea of BBQ is a bunch "flame spoiled" hamburgers and hot dogs seasoned with lighter fluid! I will attempt to introduce them to something completely different... :shock:

Anyway, my camera is juicing up and I will be capturing all these precious moments for us all to share.

Tony

Tony--

I assume your brisket is a flat, right? Has it been over-trimmed (nearly devoid of surface fat)? Are you planning to start it at the same time as the butt or delay its start time?

Sounds like your friends are in for a fine meal!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Tony--

I assume your brisket is a flat, right? Has it been over-trimmed (nearly devoid of surface fat)? Are you planning to start it at the same time as the butt or delay its start time?

Sounds like your friends are in for a fine meal! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

Yes, it is flat but it was not trimmed. I trimmed it according Chris' instruction on preparing the brisket in the cooking section of TVWB.

As far as when to start it, I was planning on starting them at the same time with brisket flat on the bottom grate so that the butt will baste it. Do you think I should delay the Bris-quito? If so, how long?

Tony

Tony--

Lucky you are to get a flat that way. Here they are all over-trimmed. Fortunately packers are available.

My concern with starting a 5-pounder at 9 would be that it might be done earlier than I plan on being functional the next morning. I find flats less predictable than packers cooktime-wise. Were it me, I'd probably start the flat closer to 11.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Tony--

Lucky you are to get a flat that way. Here they are all over-trimmed. Fortunately packers are available.

My concern with starting a 5-pounder at 9 would be that it might be done earlier than I plan on being functional the next morning. I find flats less predictable than packers cooktime-wise. Were it me, I'd probably start the flat closer to 11. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

Thanks for the tips I will do that. I was estimating 1 1/2 hours per pound, is that too high for a flat?

No, it's not. Frankly, I do not often cook flats and others may have different comments, but I find flats variable: I've had them go from 55 min/lb to nearly 2 hours/lb (!). If you start at 9 and it's a quick flat--even a 1.5 hr/lb one--you're looking at 4:30am (or earlier); if it's a longer-cooking flat then maybe 5:30/6/7. If you start it later I think its finish time will coincide with a more reasonable (read: post-morning coffee) time of day.

No, it's not. Frankly, I do not often cook flats and others may have different comments, but I find flats variable: I've had them go from 55 min/lb to nearly 2 hours/lb (!). If you start at 9 and it's a quick flat--even a 1.5 hr/lb one--you're looking at 4:30am (or earlier); if it's a longer-cooking flat then maybe 5:30/6/7. If you start it later I think its finish time will coincide with a more reasonable (read: post-morning coffee) time of day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, Great! Thanks. I will be sure to make those time compensations.

Tony

Ok, here are my first pics. These are the meats I am doing overnight, a 5lb flat and a 9lb butt. These pics were taken after about 11 hours of marinading in the mustard slather and my custom rub.

What a twosome!

My first butt "squealin' for heat!"

My first flat... one day I will get the "Point"! :lol: Ok, ok... I am not a comedian!

More to come as the night progresses!
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey! Tony looks great, Good luck! I work at St. Francis Hospital Indianapolis Campus. What time is dinner?

Ok guys, I am 8 hours into my all night/all day cook. I dont have to be ready to serve until 6 or 6:30 this evening so I think I ok. The butt seems to be doing well. I put it on the WSM about 11:30 last night and it maintain a lid temp of 235-240 all night long! I think that is probably 220-225 at the grate (or there abouts). I decided to do my brisket flat on the CG but I will start it until 11am or Noon since it is actually less than five pounds after trimming. The butts internal temp is 154, here are a couple of pics so far.

Tony

The butt is ready for the heat!

The butt is in the heat... hear him squealing? It must be hot in there! :lol:

Its 8 hours in, lets baste and peek...

There aint no squealin' now! :lol:

Looks great Tony!
I take it you don't have read access to some wood? I noticed you were using soaked wood chips. Or was that for a reason?...not that there's anything wrong with it of course

All done! The day was a success! Huge!!
icon_biggrin.gif
My family does not eat pulled pork because they say it is dry and flavorless. They have never had brisket before and wanted know if it were some weird part of the animal. I assured them that the pork would not be dry and that the brisket was just bbq'd beef - nothing weird. They absolutely devoured it!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
I had to take me some pork and beef and put it up right away so I can have some lunches - but I almost didnt get away with it.

The butt got done in 18 hours and the brisket flat got done in 10 hours! The flat was only 5 lbs. but I moved it from the Chargriller to the WSM because I did not want to risk messing it up because the CG temps were hot and high, but they fluctuated way too much for me. I aint never seen nothing like that WSM! It keeps going, and going, and going...! Rock steady temps all the way through the cook. I am thoroughly impressed. The CG on the other is the best grill I have ever owned, and I am happy I chose it over the Weber kettle, for grillin' direct and indirect you cant beat the CG (IMHO)
icon_smile.gif

Ok, enough already here are the pics I promised!

Tony

This is me, notice I am far from starving!
icon_biggrin.gif

This is the battlefield...

The finished butt...

The bone slid right out of this baby!!

Mr. Brown came by for a visit!

At last... the brisket!

I let it rest then cut in to see if there was a smoke ring... and...

At your house PIT sure does happen! Everything looks great! And to think (till my last plan fell through) I was almost in your neighborhood this weekend...
icon_smile.gif

Looks great! I wasn't going to smoke anything this weekend and your pics made me regret that decision ... maybe I'll rotis a yard bird now.

Now I am hungry!

subdude

At your house PIT sure does happen! Everything looks great! And to think (till my last plan fell through) I was almost in your neighborhood this weekend...
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, I waited for you until the last minute man! But finally I had to pull the pork and get everyone else fed!
icon_biggrin.gif
But dont worry, it wont go to waste, I will be having your portions for lunch!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
OMG that brisket looks good. Nice smoke ring! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil it was good too. Actually this was my first brisket. I used a custome rub that I plan to use at competitions and it was soooooo tender.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Langford:
Hey, Tony, I saw a cool-looking thermometer in one of your pics. Do you know where I could order one on the Internet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, I have a Tayor Candy therm in the lid vent of my WSM. The other therms are digital Polder clones. You can get the original polder (19.99) and the Taylor Candy Therm. (7.99) from the Shopping Section of this site.

Tony

Back