KFC

Stefan B

TVWBB All-Star
Here's my attempt at KFC-Kettle Fried Chicken...

Soaked in buttermilk for 24hrs
P1010200.jpg

Batter mixed
P1010201.jpg

Bird meets grill
P1010203.jpg

Plated
P1010204.jpg

As a first attempt i was very disappointed with how the chicken turned out. Specifically how the batter cooked, kinda became this hard outter shell that my wife and i didn't eat.
icon_frown.gif
Told her i get a re-do on this meal.

Hope all your Sunday dinners turned out better than ours
icon_wink.gif

Sorry your chicken didn't turn out as you hoped. The coating need to be pretty dry, think Shake and Bake.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
Sorry your chicken didn't turn out as you hoped. The coating need to be pretty dry, think Shake and Bake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean dry when it goes onto the grill? Like needing a dusting after breading it?

Stefan,

I'm sure John will reply to your post but I think he means to skip the wet breading and just use Shake n Bake. Another possibility is to use Panko bread crumbs with your own seasonings. Wet breading on any food I've tried as to be deep or pan fried in 350-375 degree oil for the breading to be crispy and tasty. You could use a deep cast iron skillet or dutch oven with hot oil to cook the wet breading. Put the CI on direct heat and you'll have the temps you need. Just monitor oil temps. Hey, it's still grilling.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
You mean dry when it goes onto the grill? Like needing a dusting after breading it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, a liquid is made with the seasoning mix (as you did) but after dredging in that, you dredge the now wet chicken in the dry seasoning mix before going on the grill. Also, it's sprayed/brushed with oil half way through the cooking process.

Check out the original thread.

We've made this a couple of times and it's always been delicious. Definitely worth another try. G/L

Looks good to me too! I used Panko bread crumbs along with a mixture of my spices when I did this on my rib-o-lator. They came out nice and crisp. I will also echo to give it a go again!

Looks super to me! Might try that with some halibut for fish taco's...almost looks like a beer batter!

Yum!

Back