KettlePizza question

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
From some of the videos and pictures found on the web... It looks like people are using plain ol' firewood for the pizza kettle. Do you know if I have to use a particular wood for the kettlepizza?

Thanks in advance.

I use a mixture of charcoal and hardwood. Using hardwood is the only way you're going to get the fire really hot. Be sure to only use hardwood, never cook over wood such as pine.

I have a bunch of wood in my garage that we use for campfires. I'm just not sure if its pine or not. My guess is that it is. Thank you for the quick reply.

I do the same as James, usually using lump and throw in a few pieces of hardwood - I'd add that I also let the hardwood really get going so there is not a lot of smoke. I think some people might like it, but I am not a fan at all of smokey pizza.

When it comes to smoking meats there are several types of woods you should never use. These include any processed wood, like particle board or pressed wood. Never use any woods held together by glue, processed with chemicals, stained or painted. Moldy wood is off limits, as are soft woods such as poplar or cottonwood. Additionally, resinous woods like cedar, fir and pine should be avoided.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8064033_kind-wood-use-smoking-meats.html#ixzz2aSHcrRXV

The chemically stained and processed wood I know should not be used. The problem around here is that I live in a populated area so most of it I have to buy from landscaping places (I'm referring to the campfire wood) I think there is a place about 40 minutes from where I am that sells all different types of wood in larger pieces that I'm going to venture out to. I'd rather take the drive and see than to figure out if its pine or not.

Josie, I buy all of my hardwood at Home Depot or Lowes. I think many places that sell smokers would also sell hardwood. They sell chunks in bags and I'm certain that you should be able to find some. As Jim stated I usually use lump charcoal (not briquettes) because I feel that the lump charcoal burns hotter and then the addition of 4 or 5 chunks of hardwood will do the trick. It also depends on how many pies you want to cook, if you want to maintain the hot temperature for a long time add more hardwood.

Walmart is sold out for the season and lowes byme only has chips. I think I'll try Home Depot. Modern Propane is a hit or miss too but I will check hem out and see.

Oh I plan on getting a large bag of royal oak this weekend too

Thank you so much for your advice!

Last edited:

Back