Kettle Smoker Questions (DIY Smokenator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Wilson

I'm hoping you all can give me some hints or something. I have a Char Broiler gas grill that is going to the curb on the next neighborhood cleanup.

It happens to have a stainless steel lid. It was only $200 grill so stainless steel isn't very heavy. I have the idea of using that lid as scrap metal to fabricate a homemade Smokenator type device. Is there any reason why it would not work?

Matter of fact the lid is also double walled buy a an additional screwed in panel on the underside. Would there be any advantage to keeping it double walled?

Lastly do you all think the gauge of the steel would be heavy enough work properly for this type of fabrication?

Lastly how could I cut it without having proper metal working tools? Could I use a hack saw and some type of hole saw for holes on top.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance or suggestions!

That should work great. If you can keep it double walled even better. I made one about a month ago out of aluminium and a mate made one out of SS they both work great. All i used was an angle grinder using a SS cutting disc and a hole saw. The hardest thing was getting the bend in it but your local metal shop should be able to bend it for you for a couple of $$$
DSC03836-1.jpg

If there's any SS left its worth making a heat deflector too
DSC03893.jpg

Joel,

Thank you...I've got a friend who is a metal worker I'm going to see if I can catch me not busy this week end. If so perhaps I can convince him to bend it and cut the holes for me me. That one looks great. That heat deflector is perfect that way I could avoid having to foil the other half of the grate.

Almost forgot I just spent several hours making a cardboard template for this thing so now I just have to fabricate it.

I asked the question, not to be a smart @ss, but I saw another post - I believe it's in the 76-page "kettle smoker" thread - where someone had made a top baffle plate in addition to their makeshift smokenator that did some air redirecting on the top (and he had the lower air baffle as well). Nice concept.

Didn't think you were bro, sorry I gave that impression. I really was a good catch! I'm just trying to understand all this stuff myself.
icon_smile.gif

By the way I remember seeing that thread too, but I've been on so many different forums that I don't remember whether it was here or not. I've actually been trying to find it again. The one I saw had the air baffle plate built right into the smokenator type device and was made of some really nice heavy gauge stainless.

This is my heat deflector baffle thingy, I've been using it with my new rotisserie it does a great charcoal chicken,The back of it sits on the tabs where the grill sits and the front of it sits about an inch above the charcoal baskets i can easily move baskets in and out of heat deflector and the fall on it means the juices drip onto the deflector and either burn off or drip down onto the charcoal sending the smokey flavours back around the chicken
DSC03896-1.jpg

DSC03895-1.jpg

DSC03894.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back