kettle lift for a 2004 one touch platinum ?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Has anyone lifted the kettle on a one touch platinum or a similar performer ( mine is like the one below )

The height to the top of the lower portion is just over 29 inches and it feels low. The other grills I have are 34 +

I was thinking 3 pieces of 1 inch square tubing stacked so its a 1 x 3 and some longer bolts would work.

Thoughts ?

419C86BCM0L._AC_.jpg

Ah. Got it.

I should have stated up front, looking for a low cost option.

The kettle was free, and I'm not looking to invest much, just would like it a little higher.

For low cost, you'd have to lengthen the tubing on the black frame. Joe's video is general idea.

I have a Performer that I lifted by basically adding a heavier axle and big wheelbarrow tires. Not really a low cost option there though unless you have an old wheelbarrow you can grab wheels off of. And for your OTP, you'd still have to lift the non-wheel side.

I went to an old (now gone) hardware store that did lawn mower repair and the guy said “Sure, there’s a barrel out there with old wheels in it, help yourself.”
So, I picked up two pair, bought a new shaft a couple of 6” pieces of 1” pipe and nipples (finished the look nicer than the bare pipe). Works just fine maybe $20 all in?
Simply replace the stock wheels and shaft then, raise the other end to ”level” then insert pipe into the original legs and put a screw in to hold them in place.

Ah. Got it.

I should have stated up front, looking for a low cost option.

The kettle was free, and I'm not looking to invest much, just would like it a little higher.
If you spent a $1,000 on it would that be better. Get two used ones a bit loose legged and...

Thanks for the comments. Here is my current plan.

Lift the kettle 2 to 3 inches using some square steel tubing and longer bolts.

Replace cracked table with wood. 2x6 or 2x8 planks or a combination of both widths.

Add locking casters.

Drop the axle for the 8 inch wheels to match the height increase of the casters.

Maybe lower the rack a couple of inches.

Gains height, retains mobility and shouldn't be too much work.
20211026_120406.jpg

D4147F07-413F-4248-8035-44467B262B67.jpeg
Dan, this was post wheel installation but pre front leg sizing and fitting, it has worked really for me and was pretty easy.
I found this later picture after the legs were in.259AFBD8-8F16-4D77-B008-3C9BB877152E.jpeg

Last edited:

Back