kettle and firebricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Fleming

TVWBB Fan
sup folks

i love my WSM but logistically i end up using the 22 1/2 one touch a lot.. i have used the firebricks and also used a water pan right over the coals too keep the temp down.. i started with about half a chimney starter of wicked good and then a half lit on top, cooked for 4 hours and only added a few lump chunks a couople hours thru.. what is the opinion of the use of firebricks??

thanx folks
glenn in SC

Two fire bricks have had a happy home in the kettle for years. I just shuffle them about based on the fire setup. For smaller, lower temp cooks (a rack or two of ribs), I have been defaulting to the kettle with a similiar setup you describe. It works well, and is a nice option to have.

Gary

Originally posted by glenn fleming:
sup folks

i love my WSM but logistically i end up using the 22 1/2 one touch a lot.. i have used the firebricks and also used a water pan right over the coals too keep the temp down.. i started with about half a chimney starter of wicked good and then a half lit on top, cooked for 4 hours and only added a few lump chunks a couople hours thru.. what is the opinion of the use of firebricks??

thanx folks
glenn in SC

I had a WSM. Loved it. Then I got a Performer and read about the fire brick tricks. I found myself gravitating towards the Performer every time because I loved the convenience of the OT ash pan clean up and the table. I also realized I RARELY need to cook more than I can squeeze into my performer. I actually ended up selling my WSM altogether. I now have a Cajun Bandit on the days when I need a LOT of capacity, but it's just an insurance policy. I rarely need it.

So yeah, I love the fire bricks. I've got 15 hours on 1 load of coals before (I really stuffed them in there.)

Originally posted by Justin W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenn fleming:
sup folks

thanx folks
glenn in SC

I had a WSM. Loved it. Then I got a Performer and read about the fire brick tricks. I found myself gravitating towards the Performer every time because I loved the convenience of the OT ash pan clean up and the table. I also realized I RARELY need to cook more than I can squeeze into my performer. I actually ended up selling my WSM altogether. I now have a Cajun Bandit on the days when I need a LOT of capacity, but it's just an insurance policy. I rarely need it.

So yeah, I love the fire bricks. I've got 15 hours on 1 load of coals before (I really stuffed them in there.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I have only used my WSM about 3 times since I got my Performer. I can pretty much do everything on my Performer now and have gotten good at getting the temps to settle for hours with no fiddling with the vents.

I use firebricks in my 22" OTG as well.
I made diagonal cuts at the ends on my bricks to the shape of the kettle for a nice snug fit.

They create a nice thermal mass as well and help keep the temp steady.

Originally posted by George L:
I use firebricks in my 22" OTG as well.
I made diagonal cuts at the ends on my bricks to the shape of the kettle for a nice snug fit.

They create a nice thermal mass as well and help keep the temp steady.

would love to see photos of that. Can you post some? Thanks

I use the firebricks in my 22" OTG and in my 18" SJs. I like them much better than the charcoal baskets.

I've got a BGE but pretty much only use it for my longer low and slow cooks. Most stuff I just do indirectly on the Webers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back