Keri C's Apple Juice Brined Turkey

I'm confused. I am getting ready to use the pellets, but I thought that one package(1/3 cup) would be adequate.

Now if I understand Keri's note, I need three packages, if I use the Minion method. Could you clear this up?....tom

...a Minion cook for butt or brisket should use a maximum of three foil packets containing 1/3 cup pellets each buried in the unlit charcoal plus one on the coals up front. I've never used more, and have often used less.
Note it also says "for a butt or brisket cook". For poultry, far less smoke is necessary.

Keri, do you favor one flavor of honey over another for your brine? If so, what might that be?

Thanks,
Rita

Well, since you ask, I do like pure "white" Tupelo honey when I can get it around here, but otherwise I just buy quarts of honey from the guy who parks down on the corner about a mile from my house who sells honey from his own hives. I have to admit that I really don't know what flavor his would be considered. It's a somewhat darker shade of amber than Tupelo, and of about a medium-delicate strength - it hasn't sugared up on me yet, surprisingly, and I've been buying from him for probably seven years now. I'm sure it's probably an alfalfa/clover honey, based on what grows around here where I've seen the bee boxes, but it's quite good.

Thanks, Keri. I was thinking about a medium-flavored honey. As I was rummaging around in my pantry, I came across the sourwood honey that Chris likes for some things, so since this is a tester turkey, it's now doing the backstroke in the apple-sourwood honey brine. I suspect it might be a little strong, but this was a good time to test it out. I'll let you know how the sourwood honey works out and if I get more apple juice flavor.

Rita

Also, someone asked about the accelerated brine. I did a turkey breast with the short brine proportions and found that the meat didn't pick up much of the apple juice flavor at all. Now that my lobbying for a second refrigerator has paid off I can go the full 24 hours and am looking forward to checking the apple flavor after that.

Keri,
Just thought after a few years of these birds I would throw a big Thank You! your way agian. I'm doing your bird and your grandma's cornbread stuffing. I always give you the credit but they still think I am a turkey guru!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your's and to everyone else!

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Thanks, Keri. I was thinking about a medium-flavored honey. As I was rummaging around in my pantry, I came across the sourwood honey that Chris likes for some things, so since this is a tester turkey, it's now doing the backstroke in the apple-sourwood honey brine. I suspect it might be a little strong, but this was a good time to test it out. I'll let you know how the sourwood honey works out and if I get more apple juice flavor.

Rita
Rita, I usually use Sourwood honey for my brine. Sourwood honey has become scarce and pricey so this year I'll be using Raspberry flower honey, which is just incredible.
icon_smile.gif
I only have about 10 lbs left from my 60lb pail.
icon_biggrin.gif

60 pounds of honey! Wow, Bryan, you must do a LOT of brining!

Actually, I just put a turkey breast in for a swim this morning. I'm guessing 8 hours will do the job, taking in cosideration the sweetness of the brine. Cook's recommends 6 hours for a 1/2 cup table salt to 1 gallon water brine (no sweetening).

NOTE: A 6-pound turkey breast in a tight plastic bag needs about 1 1/2 quarts of the brine. I put the bagged turkey & brine in a bucket and added ice water to the bucket to snug everything up.

QUESTION: I'm hoping to do more turkey breasts in the near future, so I made the whole 1-gallon recipe. It yielded 4 2/3 quarts with the addition of 10 whole cloves, 5 bay leaves, 5 large cloves garlic, and 3 ounces fresh ginger.

How long can I keep the leftover unused brine in the refrigerator? Or might it be best to freeze it?

Rita

Keri, I'll be doing a bird in your brine along with another bird in my JD brine this year and I have a question; I use 5 gallon buckets for brining my birds and I know that on an 18 - 19 lb bird I'll use about 1.5 gallons of brine to submerse the bird completly. In this scenario with your brine would you just add additional apple juice or do you add water? I'm assuming since it's a flavor brine you add additional juice vs. diluting with water. Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to trying this recipe and hope she looks as good as your picture.

Hey, I just noticed no one answered my question last year, what gives, LOL.

Just took 2 quarts of apple juice and the rest of the ingredients to a boil for tomorrow. Love'n this brine
icon_biggrin.gif

Arthur, I just did a 24 lb turkey and that's what I did. She's sitting in my frig waiting for tomorrow It's getting the right proportions of liquid to salt that's important

anyone use one of those little syrupy soda can sorta sized juice concentrates for the brine? would that work well? wouldn't it be cheaper than buying a couple quarts of AJ?

Although this is a couple of years late, yes, that will work. I had to come back to my 2003 post to get my apple juice brine recipe for a couple of birds going in tonight. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Chief Cook, Hot Wire BBQ Award Winning Competition Cooking Team

Been a couple of years since someone posted on her, so I thought I would bring it back to the top. This is my go to Turkey recipe for Christmas.

Giving this a try for Xmas turkey.
Mixed up the ingredients and warmed it up to make sure everything is mixed. Will let it cool then chill in the fridge next to the 9lb turkey.
Then introduce the bird to the brine at 10 am tomorrow (Friday).

Back