Kenmore/Weber Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt JP

I've got a 22 1/2 inch kettle from I figure the late fifties or early/mid sixties. It was my father's. It says Kenmore on the lid handle. Apparently Weber made it for Sears back in the day. It came with steel legs which rusted out and that I have since replaced with Weber aluminum legs. My question is about the heavy metal ash catcher pan that sits inside the kettle and on the same tabs that the charcoal grate uses for support. The insert pan has vent holes all along the upper inside portion of its bowl area, which is just inside and below its 1 1/2 inch flange that rests on the lower charcoal grate supports. There is a 1/2 inch perimeter space between the outer edge of the insert pan and the kettle's inside wall. The charcoal grate sits directly on top of this metal ash catcher bowl insert. The kettle was designed to not have an ash catcher beneath the kettle. It does have the old style three dial vents on the bottom. I called Weber and the person that I spoke with was not familiar with this design or the fact that Weber made kettles for Sears. Can anyone give me some insight into this kettle's history and the design features.

First of all, that's a very cool find.

If I were you, I'd contact Sears and speak with them. I don't know if there's any model number or serial on it, but if there is you're probably in business. The amount of reference material and parts back stock they have is amazing. I've been able to get parts for small engines that have been out of production for over fifty years. You just have to get a hold of the right people.

Thanks Matt for the suggestion. I just called Sears as you said and since I don't have a model or part # they said they couldn't help. I'd post a picture of the kettle and catcher but I don't have approval since I'm new.

What is the diameter of the ash catcher pan?

I am wondering if the ash pan from a One Touch Silver is close to the diameter of the ash pan you are describing, and if so, could a little time with a drill give you a workable facsimile of the original design?

Also, is there an air intake vent on the bottom of the kettle? Does it have a traditional wheel vent cover?

Pat

The diameter of the ash catcher pan is 16 3/4 inches and is 3 inches high at its tallest point in the center. It follows the contour of the kettle while still providing a gap for air flow. Its made out of heavy gauge steel that is also porcelain coated like the kettle itself. How they formed it in all one piece is really something. Lastly the kettle bowl has the three wheels vent cover design.

Since this obsession took hold, I've learned a lot from browsing the Weber schematics. But not as much as I've learned from these forums.

I never did use the Sears Economy Kettle, it was sacrificed to the Drum Smoker gods! I did hang onto the ash catcher though and am using it in my Cajun Bandit/OTS and I'm happy with it. One for the fact, I don't get ash all over the deck and another is it seems to help minimize the air control with the One-Touch vanes.

Do you need a new one from Weber? I've found its really helpful to have the schematics page up when ordering anything from Weber CS.

IMG_1164.jpg

Fortunately my ash catcher pan is holding up pretty well. I'm surprised to hear that there is clearance underneath the pan for the One-Touch vanes. I checked the Weber's schematics for the Sears/Weber Economy Kettle and although they show a picture of the part, the parts list doesn't list it. It would be sweet if it were still available, especially if it also works with the One-Touch system. Sounds like a great use for it with the Cajun Bandit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back