keeps getting better

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I did my third cook on my WSM this weekend and the result was great. I did three racks of spares on top and two small chickens on the bottom. It's so simple to use and the result so good, it's incredible.

All three times I've used the Minion method to fire up. For the most part, with all vents open it just stays pegged on 250 for the duration. sometimes a little while in, the temp will creep up - especially if i have it open for a prolonged period fiddling with something - but it's easily controlled.

I'm looking to expand beyond butts, ribs and chicken. Any suggestions?

John, give brisket a try. They're a favorite around my home. Also, I just smoked some kingfish last week and have been enjoying fish spread ever since. At some point down the line I'll try cheese.

Depending on meat availability, you could try a chuck roll or a brisket. The roll is more forgiving. Get a big one, close to 20 lbs, plan on 1 - 1 1/2 hours per pound. I like to foil mine at about 165 internal, I then dump on some kind of thin spicy sauce, whatever you have around. Cook until the internal is 195-200. Let sit for while wrapped up and then cut into 2 inches slices, it will fall apart. Mix with some good sauce and you have bbq sandwiches for the entire neighborhood.

Then you could try starting for the perfect brisket.

For short, easy cooks, try turkey or ribeye roast. Use the Standard method, no water in the pan, 325-350 temp procedure.

Brisket is also a good choice. The holy trinity of bbq is ribs, butt and brisket after all. So you want to try it at least once. That said, brisket is a hard beast to master. I've only done three of them so far and the first two were good, but a bit dry and tough. I finally had success using Keri's butt over brisket, remove at 188 degrees and foil for a couple of hours method. My brisket was moist, tender and devoured in short order. It remains to be seen if I can duplicate my results. Just my $.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back