Keeping Temps down

Carter Collins

I recently purchased a performer and love it. But I am having a few issues keeping the temps down. I keep the bottom vent dang near closed and I still have temps running 400+.

What are you trying to do. Direct grill, indirect grill, roast at a tempo range, smoke low and slow. Temp control is mix of lit charcoal amount and vent settings. Let us know what you are after and we can offer some advice

You may need to adjust your top vent, for low and slow I have mine about 1/4 open. Use less lit. When I minion start mine I go with 4-6 lumps of lit to start and I can hold anywhere from 225-400 for hours. Also the fan blade at the bottom can easily bend when sweeping ash and small chunks causing a gap between the blade and the bowl.

Even before my dampers seized I used to tape off the bottom vents with foil tape when doing a low and slow. I found this gave much better control over lower temps.

I would like to do low and slow and also use my rotisserie. I have not done the minion method on the performer I have just been using the gas assist lighter.

Bob has pointed you to the Minion and is what you will need to use. On my OTS, 8 lit briquets is all I need on top of a full banked pile with bottom vents shut. Runs about 275 at the vent which is fine. Two slabs fit well on the indirect side.

Is there burning charcoal directly under the thermometer? That will read higher than than the cooking area if grilling indirect.

Other than that, it's about air. Keep the air out. Are you lifting the lid? Every time you lift the lid, you're giving a huge gulp of fresh air to the coals and the temps will go up. Keep the lid lifting to an absolute minimum.

I do need to check the thermo for sure. I know the one on my WSM runs about 25 degress cooler than the grate temp. Sorry if I posted a bad question George. I just got the grill last week and I haven't used charcoal that much other than my WSM.

Carter no such thing as a bad question, just bad answers. This forum was designed for questions and answers.

I assume your Performer came with charcoal baskets. You'll probably want both baskets going with a drip pan in between when you use your rotisserie.

Back