keeping ribs away from the edge

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone! looking for a little expertise. I am planning on smoking up a bunch of ribs this weekend and I think to fit them all on even with rolling or racking I'm going to have some close to the edge of the grate. I've been reading that this is a no-no since this area is especially hot. Will I really kill my ribs if they are near the edge? I guess I'm wondering whether its better to have racks near the edge of the grate or to stack some on top of one another in the rib rack. Thanks for any help you can provide

Peter...

You are correct in trying to keep anything near the edge. Actually oyu want ot try and keep everything inside the diameter of the water pan.

That is easy to do when racking, a little more challenging if rolling.

Racking is easier because when you cut a slab in half it measures about 11-12"...well within that diameter. Matter of fact there is enougvh room to lean 2 mopre 1/2 slabs along each side of the rack. You can then pile 2 more 1/2 slabs on top of the ribs in the rack.

Keep in mind, this is NOT ideal, but it works...I do it many, many times every summer when catering. You will need to rotate this setup a couple of times..unless you use foil, then only once.

Here is a link to my web page that has some pics. Scroll down to the section called, "CharBroil Rib and Tater Rack"

Use of rib racks to increase space

Good luck and let us know if you have any specific questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back