Keeping Heat high in Winter

Shay

I'm a little nervous about the turkey I'll be smoking on Thanksgiving. When I did my test turkey a month ago it was ~60F outside and I had to flip the door and crack it open an inch to get the temp up to ~325. Chances are it's going to be closer to 25F and snowing on Thanksgiving. Will I still be able to get the heat I need by doing the same? Any other tips I might need?

Thanks,
Shay

I did a cook last year of baby backs for 4 hours on Christmas Eve morning and everything went fine. I wouldn't put any water in your pan to keep the temps up high. You can use a windbreak as well if necessary to keep the fuel from burning up too quick with the wind if it's nasty out. You can always start with a little more fuel than necessary and put the bird on when it comes down a little. Of course, when you put the bird on it's going to go down in temp since the bird will act as a heatsink until it comes up to temp. Don't put the bird on until your temps are high or you might not recover. Heck, if you're nervous try a beer can chicken or two just before the big day to replicate the conditions. It'll cook quicker and you'll know if you're getting good results with the practice.

Back