Keeping butts warm

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'll be cooking for about 40 people in a couple of weeks. I would like to start several butts (for pulled pork) at about 1:00 AM, go to bed, take them off at about noon, and then start some chickens and/or ribs. Do you think the butts will be OK for a few hours if I wrap them in foil, then in towels, and put them in a cooler? I've done this with brisket and it turned out fine, staying hot for several hours. I've never tried it with butts.

Thanks!
Steve

If you can can keep the internal above 140?
you have a 4 hour window to be safe, or you need to get the temp below 45?.
Jim

I kept a pork butt hot for 6 hours last weekend. Pulled it off at 9am and triple wrapped in foil, towel and into the cooler. It was still hot when I pulled it at 3pm.

John

John, was the taste and texture OK after it sat that long?

Thanks.
Steve

Hi Steve,
Yes the taste and texture were as good or better than normal. I took this butt off at 201 internal and I assume it went up a little while in the foil so maybe that helped. (I've never cooked one above 201). Anyway, I would not have known by looks or taste that it didn't come striaght off the cooker. Hope this helps.

John

Thanks for the replies. I decided to do a test run last night. I put a 5 lb. butt on at midnight and went to bed. Got up at 5:30 and mopped and flipped it. By 1:30 PM, 13.5 hours later, the internal temp was only up to 185?! It was starting to fall apart though, so I went ahead and took it off. Temp at the lid was around 260? the whole time. I've got the butt wrapped and in a cooler now, awaiting supper time. Good eatin' tonight!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back