Keeping a turkey warm?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone.

I will be cooking my bird on Thursday afternoon, but will be bringing it to my sister's house about an hour away, for dinner. Any suggestions on how to keep it warm after removing it from the WSM? I can wrap it in foil and put it in a roasting pan, but I would tend to think that it might become overdone. Perhaps pulling it a bit earlier, and doing this is the way to go? Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays!

Derek

Hey Derek !
After you wrap the turkey in foil set the turkey down in a cooler.It should make the trek with no problem.It will probably still be steaming when you pull it out of the cooler.As far as the turkey becoming overdone I don't think it will be a problem.If I were to pull the turkey early it would be maybe 5 deg. and that's all.
Hope this helps,
Willy T.

Hi Willy.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try and am sure that it will work out. Have a great holiday!

Derek

I for one have nearly always noticed that most people overcook nearly everything especially poultry. I take my turkey out at 150 degrees in the breast and let it rest for 20 minutes before slicing. The temperature goes up while resting and I have not had an undercooked breast yet.

If you wrap it in foil it will go up in temperature for sure while transporting it.

When you take it out I'm sure it will be done. Even if it is not done (doubtful) in the thigh area you can always cook it a little more.

Once you have overcooked the bird though there is no recourse, you are stuck with dry turkey.

Hello,
I smoked a turkey a couple of weks ago using the Honey Brine recipe. I started getting worried when the temp in the breast
got to 155 deg and plateaued for a while.
It was still 2 hours before serving time. I "chickened"out and pulled it. Wrapped it in foil, a couple of old towels and put it in a small ice chest 'til serving time. Perfect!! I hope it wasn't beginners luck as I am going to do it again soon and the same way!! Hope this doesn't muddy the waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back