Just the Point

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Anyone done only the point from a brisket? Just wondering if you need to plan for as long as the whole thing or not?

Last edited:
Well I took it out of the freezer. Sister in law making her way here from FLA Friday. So want to put up something special. So if anyone has a tip here, I am all ears :D

Oh I’ve done more points than full packers. They cook pretty fast, around 5-6 hours at about 225. Depending on size of course.

I want to run on Super Smoke for maybe 2 hours (160 on Big Z) but sounds like if I get up early, prep it and get it on by 7-8? Let it go 2 hrs on super smoke and then up to 225. Ya think maybe about 6.5 t0 7.5 hours? I intend to wrap it in paper at the stall (170ish)

I want to run on Super Smoke for maybe 2 hours (160 on Big Z) but sounds like if I get up early, prep it and get it on by 7-8? Let it go 2 hrs on super smoke and then up to 225. Ya think maybe about 6.5 t0 7.5 hours? I intend to wrap it in paper at the stall (170ish)
Question, can’t that Z pump out smoke at 225°F? All my whole packers run at 235-255° for about 5 hours for an 11# whole brisket. The point takes the longest to heat through due to its density. So at 225-250° I’d bet a point alone would be 5-6 hours due to the flat being offed. The mid section where the two muscles meet is the money part of any brisket. I could eat that section all day, every day.

So do you have a mid section with a point or truly a separated point off a flat? If the latter, you’re missing that giant fat interconnection section. Which means your point might only take 3-4 hours total.

Please offer up your exact cut for more info/replies.

Does not look to be fully separated. Flat simply appears to have been sliced through. Oh yeah btw, the Big Z can sling smoke. 225-250. When I did my 2 whole ones though, I kept it at 180 on the overnight portion, In the AM upped it to 220 and she was still "rollin coal", when I wrapped I upped it to 240 and the coal was still rollin.
I will pull it out again this AM and take a closer look. Wife vacuum sealed it so the flat end is a little obscured.

I pulled it outta the fridge and yes the whole brisket was simply sliced down at the junction of the point and flat. So this point does have a little of that flat, and the nice marbling. Mouth is watering thinking about smoking that bad boy up

I pulled it outta the fridge and yes the whole brisket was simply sliced down at the junction of the point and flat. So this point does have a little of that flat, and the nice marbling. Mouth is watering thinking about smoking that bad boy up
That’s the best part. What’s the weight? I’m guessing 4-6 hours depending on your weight. I’d just push it at 250° with your smoke boost for its duration and wrap at 170° in butcher paper till done (202-206°, probe tender) and then rest it for 2 hours minimum.

I think only the SmokeFire has smoke boost at higher temps. My "Super Smoke" keeps holds it at 160, though I've not seen too much more difference between that and lower 200s (basically under 250).

Smokefire SmokeBoost is between 160-200 I think, typically hovers right around 180 for me. I usually SmokeBoost for an hour and a half, then up to 225. That’s the 5-6 hour cook there.

I just assume a smoke setting to begin and always forget to mention it🤣

I think only the SmokeFire has smoke boost at higher temps. My "Super Smoke" keeps holds it at 160, though I've not seen too much more difference between that and lower 200s (basically under 250).
I rarely use smokeboost on long cooks below 275. Plenty of smoke for my taste.

That’s the best part. What’s the weight? I’m guessing 4-6 hours depending on your weight. I’d just push it at 250° with your smoke boost for its duration and wrap at 170° in butcher paper till done (202-206°, probe tender) and then rest it for 2 hours minimum.
So here it is out of the wrap and with the tag. The butcher at our little market had already trimmed it and nothing for me to do but put rub on it and smoke to it. Given the size I am thinking I will put it on early tomorrow AM. Thoughts? Getting hungry just looking at it :D
In case the label can't be made out. 4.9# $2.99# Honestly I don't think I could have gone wrong on this thing. Gonna look for some local Illini Super Sweet fresh corn to cook up as well. I want it to rest a good 2 hours in the cooler wrapped in paper and in a towel and ready to slice if my daughter has to get the babies home early. (in case Allegiant is late getting sister in law here from FLA). I know I can hold it easily wrapped in the cooler. Binder and nothing but coarse BP and coarse kosher salt. KISS.

20230928_150509.jpg20230928_150523.jpg20230928_150526.jpg20230928_151018.jpg

Thoughts?
over trimmed IMO. cook to 165 (in the stall) and wrap with a generous amount of tallow to keep moist and juicy. if you fridge the tallow, you can apply it like butter and use you hands to spread it all over the beef. wrap in butcher paper if you have some. it should probe tender at 202-206 and then slit open the paper and rest it so it doesn't steam itself.

i'd salt dry brine it exposed in the fridge overnight and then add black pepper and some granulated garlic before smoking. stay at 250F and it should come out perfect. take pics and post em! that should be an easy cook for you.

you're in for a good meal there!!!

over trimmed IMO. cook to 165 (in the stall) and wrap with a generous amount of tallow to keep moist and juicy. if you fridge the tallow, you can apply it like butter and use you hands to spread it all over the beef. wrap in butcher paper if you have some. it should probe tender at 202-206 and then slit open the paper and rest it so it doesn't steam itself.

i'd salt dry brine it exposed in the fridge overnight and then add black pepper and some granulated garlic before smoking. stay at 250F and it should come out perfect. take pics and post em! that should be an easy cook for you.

you're in for a good meal there!!!
Yeah I would have liked to have seen a little more fat cap on it. But at least it's very well marbled. I am not big on garlic (I know what kind of a dego am I :D) on beef or BBQ. COunt me among the "weird". And darn I don't have any tallow either. I may have some fat chucks I can render in the freezer though. I will have to look. But, when it comes to Q (beef for sure) I am a S&P only guy. And smoke of course :D
I will definitely post up photos!

Well that beauty is all seasoned up. Went out early this AM, in the fog and drippy, and prepped Big Z. Quick vacuum (I forgot last time I did it, but as luck would have it there was barely any ash in there), (The Kirkland pellets leave very little ash BTW and seem to be quite clean). I used my 7 part coarse salt to 4 part coarse BP) applied liberally and got meat prepped while the grill was stabilizing.
Starting out on Super Smoke (160) and set the grill automation to run like that for 90 minutes, then to boost temp to 225 for the duration. Planning to wrap at the stall (likely 165 to 175)
I have a second automation set so once the probe goes over 165 it will send a notification to my phone.
This will be the first time I am using all these automations on it. So they too are an experiment. I'll be watchful for them though this time. Plan is to hopefully have it probing tender by 3 to 330 latest and have it wrapped in large towel and resting in the Styrofoam cooler for 2 hours.

Yeah, that is going on Super Smoke setting. BTW first automation did not work. So I had to increase temp manually. So here it is with setting at 220. What you see here it pretty much will run like all the way out to 265 or so. It will then drop off until 300 and pretty much at that point the smoke you might see is from vaporization of the meat juices dripping on the grease deflector

1696001953322.jpeg

Seems pellet grills are funny in that they work the opposite of what you would think they might. If you want to get that many cu in of space up into 375 and up deg you need to start pushing quite a bit more fuel than if you're coasting along at 200 give or take a little. You would think by pouring in more fuel you would get more smoke at higher temps not less.

Back