Just started two briskets

Melissa

Well, this weekend, my hubby and I decided to cook a HUGE mess of barbecue. We started two briskets about a half hour ago. When those are done, we're doing two shoulders. But more about that later. Now it's brisket time!

I'm trying to get better at documenting our cooks so we can repeat our results. The last time we made brisket was the best we EVER did and to tell the God's honest truth, the best I ever put in my mouth. Of course, I didn't write anything down that time...UGH! We learn from our mistakes.

Unfortunately, the biggest briskets I could find are only 7 and 6 lbs respectively - not my first choice. I would generally go for something closer to 10 lbs each, but I took what I could get.

So, we got up at 6, and hubby got the WSM rolling. We used mostly water in the pan with a Killian's thrown in for good measure. I trimmed the briskets of all the hard fat and coated them with plain old yellow mustard, then coated them with my usual brisket rub, which consists of 1/2 c. kosher salt, 1/2 c. granulated garlic, 1/2 c. black pepper, 1/4 c. cayenne pepper, and 1/4 c. brown sugar. I know the brown sugar is not generally used for brisket, but I like the blackening factor, so I use it.

I did not let them sit overnight. I coated them right before going on the smoker. I don't think anything can penetrate that tough cut of meat. I've done it both ways and I can't tell the difference between letting it "marinate" in the rub or not. So I don't bother. Not for brisket anyway.

So, we put both briskets on (large one on the bottom rack) at 7. The lid temp was 300. The temp fell to a perfect 240 in 10 minutes and we added smoke - a combo of apple, cherry, and a dash of hickory. Hickory can be SO overpowering, but I love a touch of it for beef!

Now here's where I'm sure I'll get some flack - I do my briskets fat side DOWN, and don't move them or turn them at all. I used to do them fat side up, as seems to be the overwhelming standard, but I read something somewhere (who knows where?) that had a BBQ pro advocating fat down, so I tried it. Like I said, the last time was AWESOME, so I thought I'd try it again. I am of the mind that the fat on the bottom protects the meat from drying. That self-basting theory just doesn't ever seem to be proven. Until it fails me, I'm going fat side down.

We'll see what happens!

It's now nearly 7:40, and the lid temp is holding steady at 240 degrees. I'm going back to bed for awhile. We went out last night (2 am) to see DaVinci Code and then drinking...I could feel a little fresher... four hours doesn't quite cut it.

I'll update in awhile with more stats and photos. I'm realizing I should have taken some pics from the start. Oh well, still learning.

Over and out.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Melissa

Well, I just added a pack of Hebrew National Beef hot dogs and some andouille sausage to the smoker. While it's rolling, might as well stock up. Hot dogs become a whole other food on the smoker and resemble nothing close to the nuked or boiled pieces of flab the kids prefer.

The 6 lb brisket is up to 173 and we've kept the temperature around 230-240 the entire time. It spiked to 260 once, but we got it quickly under control, so no harm done. The 7 lb brisket is on the bottom rack, so I probably won't check the temp on that one until the smaller one comes off. I'm thinking the smaller on will be ready around 3-3:30 and the other one will go to 4:30-5. It's hard to say.

Only time will tell, but it smells AWESOME. :-)

Wow... reads like someone's been doing her homework! Very nice.

Scour this website and you'll find a nice cooklog Chris put together to prevent the dreaded "I can't remember" blues.

You stated "So, we put both briskets on (large one on the bottom rack) ..."
Since the large brisket will take longer and the top rack is hotter than the bottom, I have always put the larger brisket on the top. That way the larger one cooks in about the same amount of time as a smaller one. Is this the preferred method?

Well what happend?

I smoked a 17.7 pound choice brisket this weekend and it still came out too dry for me in the flat. Point is great and moist, but the flats are another animal. Season and put on the WSM and maintained 245-250 degrees the entire time, fat side down. Meat temp got to 188 and the fork test passed. Let rest in double foil and wrapped in towels for 4 hrs in a cooler until dinner.

I've tried the foil at 160 then take to 190 but seem to lose the crunchy bark I like. I may have to try the 4 hour routine (350 degreess for two hours then wrap in foil for the next two hours then pull). I'm just so tired of the overly dry flat!

Another fat side down here. I have been doing them that way for quite a while. I foil and rest fat side up. The only other thing I do different is to put a pork butt over top of the brisket. I haven't had one too dry since. Works for me anyhow. Everyone has their methods.

My cook was a success!!! The smaller brisket seemed to take forever to reach temp - it plateaued for HOURS. It came off at 5pm. I foiled it with a little apple juice and put it into a dry cooler to rest. I moved the temperature probe into the larger brisket, which was on the bottom rack, and it was at 173. It cooked for about 2 more hours before reaching 190 degrees. We took it off at 7:15, and I gave it the same foil, apple juice, and cooler treatement. At about 8:30, I sliced and chowed down. It was SO good. It was the second best brisket I've done - the April cook was still the best so far. I attribute it more to the meat than the cook - the one in April was a better grade and was much larger, so I think that kept it moister. That said, these two little babies were great. I took them to a party yesterday and got rave reviews. I also took the pork I mentioned in my first post, which was fabulous, but the brisket was still the all-around favorite. I also made a bunch of ABTs (recipe on this board somewhere) and had to write down the recipe at least 4 times for people. I had people asking if they could PAY me to barbecue for them. I'd say all in all, I'm not going to complain about this cook!

As soon as I can figure out how to publish pictures, I'll do that.
icon_smile.gif

Is the top rack the hottest? I mean, I suppose the hot air rises and all that, but the bottom rack gets MUCH more direct radiated heat than the top. The top gets a convection effect, while the bottom is more direct. I don't know if it's consequence or not, but I always put my small cut on the top with the temperature probe in. When it's done, I move the larger cut to the top rack and put the temperature probe in that one. It's NEVER done before the top (smaller) one. Maybe it's just the size, but I really think the bottom rack gets much hotter - from a direct, radiated heat standpoint at least. The convection heat may be higher at the top, but that still doesn't cook as fast as radiated heat. My two cents.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Savage:
You stated "So, we put both briskets on (large one on the bottom rack) ..."
Since the large brisket will take longer and the top rack is hotter than the bottom, I have always put the larger brisket on the top. That way the larger one cooks in about the same amount of time as a smaller one. Is this the preferred method? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back