Just Purchased Summit E-420 - Opinions Welcome

Tom DiGiacomo

I am new to the forum and have been reading threads on which grill to buy - Genesis (E, EP, S) 330 and Summit (E, S) 420. The general consensus is that you can't go wrong between the two. I was hot on the idea of an EP-330, but I finally got to see both grills in person. I was impressed by the heavier duty stainless parts (grates, flavorizer bars, side burner), but still wasn't sure I could justify the extra cost. I like the idea (for me, at least) of the four evenly spaced burners vs. three + sear burner.

I know I should have posted before buying, but the place where I went (a DoItBest hardware store) gave me 10% off if I bought today. I ended up getting it for less than online, even with sales tax. I know this will be more than enough grill for me, actually a bit overkill. But I figure it will likely be the last gas grill I buy. I have two 22.5" kettles (old ones, but that doesn't matter), a 18.5" WSM, a Smokey Joe, and an older Jumbo Joe. The E-420 is replacing an old Charbroil Masterflame 8000 that my wife brought to the family, and it is about 15 years old. I have been eyeballing the Genesis grills that I see in the stores for a couple years now, so I decided to pull the trigger.

So, for me I know that it will be more than enough grill, and will be up to the task when I need to work it hard. I am just looking for opinions/experiences on:

- Quality/durability/longevity: I've seen rumblings where some think the Genesis is actually built better, even though it is a step below the Summit. I take good care of my stuff, so that won't be an issue.
- Firebox: Noticed that there are basically to steel ramps under the burners that funnel the grease into the drip pan. Are there any rust concerns? The Genesis is all cast aluminum.
- General satisfaction with purchasing this grill from those who have one or have used one.

I know the Genesis would have been an excellent choice as well, but I took the plunge.

This is a great forum, and thanks for your opinions. I'm sure I will be spending a lot of time here now.

TD

Congratulations on your purchase. I think I may have given you an opinion when you were considering buying so please excuse the comments if they are the same. As a fellow E-420 owner, I can tell you I am one happy camper with mine. Like you, I have a number of other grills to select from so the E-420 has been a primary tool for when I want to do something on weeknights or lunches when prep time is short. However it is my primary grill for grilling fish and for baking because of both the high temps and control it offers. A pizza stone fits perfectly over the two center burners allowing you to set one temp under the stone and high temps around it for a perfect 450 degree baking environment with the middle burners on and 400 degrees with them off which is perfect for pizzas. You can get even higher temps if you use fire bricks in the center and crank all the burners up. I have done that for bread baking.

My only concern initially was that it didn't have porcelain covered cast iron grates like the grill it replaced. Since then I have falled in love with the heavy stainless steel grates and have never looked back.

My only negative is that I don't see any easy way to light the burners if any of the ingniters go out. The little Weber match holder thing that comes with it is probably not the best solution. That said, I have yet to have a problem with any of the igniters so i have yet to have to do it.

Last edited:
Don,

Thanks for your input! Glad to hear you are happy with your E-420. And, thanks for the pizza stone idea. I will definitely give that a try.

TD

Hi Tom and welcome to the Jungle! That is one nice grill you bought and will give you many years of great times and meals. I have the EP-330 Genesis Natural Gas. At the time that I bought mine the Summit was just more grill than I needed so I couldn't justify the extra cost. I usually only cook for two or three people. The Genesis is a little bit of overkill for me but I couldn't help myself. I didn't want to say "I wish I had....." after I bought something less. I think you made a wise choice!

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,

Thanks for the comments. I really like the EP-330, that is what made it such a tough decision. There was just a little something extra pushing me toward the E-420 - can't explain it. I typically cook for four or five (two little ones), but have the larger summer gatherings and a fall football party as well. I plan on giving it a real workout at these events. I typically do a brisket or pulled chicken or pork on the WSM and Buffalo wings on the kettles, but I will add some extra direct heat fare to my menu this year. Like you, I didn't want to be second guessing myself, but I'm sure the EP-330 would have more than filled the role as well.

I should pick it up today, weather permitting. A winter storm is on the way, but it looks like much of the snow will miss central Ohio.

TD

Nice buy Tom! Congrats! I've never heard any "grumblings" that the Gensis was built better than the Summit (??) A few threads down we were just discussing the EP Genesis vs a Summit and genereally it was simpley a question of if money wasn't a concern the Summit line is the way to go. :)

I have the EP Genesis, but If I had a choice I would have bought the one you did. However, the Genesis is truly a great grill too!

Congrats on the new grill! I know you'll love it. I've had mine for about three years with no issues. Here's my one piece of advice, don't let debris build up on those ramps in the fire box. The debris will start to soak up grease instead of letting it flow toward the drip pan. Next time you crank the grill way up you may find a little more on fire than you were expecting...

Thanks again all for the responses.

Yeah, the "grumblings I heard were a review or two I found out there. But, from forums such as this, no such sentiments, and I trust folks opinions more on dedicated forums where there is a real consensus. Fortunately, the tax man gave back enough to allow for the upgrade over the Genesis.

Steve, glad to hear you are happy with yours, and thanks for the tip. I will certainly look out for that and make it part of the yearly/semi-yearly cleaning regimen.

I just picked it up yesterday, but a snow storm prevented me from getting it into its permanent place on the deck. I was expecting it boxed up, but it came fully assembled (the store where I bought it got it from another one of their locations, and it must've been on that store's floor). Saves me a step, I guess. I wrapped it in plastic and bungied it in the bed of my truck as best I could, and after a careful ride home it is safe and sound in the garage. Once I get it in place I'll do the leak test and fire it up. Can't wait!

I would be after that a LOT more often than yearly/semi yearly. Depending on your use go after that lower grease area at LEAST once a month if not more. Trust me all it takes is one ruined dinner to kick yourself in the a$$ and wonder why you didn't spend 10 min to do it.

Congrats on the new Summit.You're going to find that cooking on that beauty is going to be such a pleasure you're going to need bigger pants. Now you need to do some research on Grill Greats. Nothing beats them for a great sear and wonderful taste.

I would be after that a LOT more often than yearly/semi yearly. Depending on your use go after that lower grease area at LEAST once a month if not more. Trust me all it takes is one ruined dinner to kick yourself in the a$$ and wonder why you didn't spend 10 min to do it.

Duly noted. I will certainly keep a more watchful eye on it. Thanks for the tip!

As noted, I think the 9mm grates will be fine for me. That was one of the attractive thing about the Summit (although I've heard you can get online somewhere them for the Genesis).

I did the leak test and then fired it up briefly. I will be cooking on it tonight. I'm excited because I never cooked on a gas rig this nice! And, I've just got to say that it (and the Genesis as well) are really nice looking pieces of equipment.

Congrats on the new Summit.You're going to find that cooking on that beauty is going to be such a pleasure you're going to need bigger pants. Now you need to do some research on Grill Greats. Nothing beats them for a great sear and wonderful taste.

Thanks! I did take a quick look at those. Interesting concept. It looks like having those covering the flavorizer bars might actually extend the life of them.

http://www.du-co.com/ceramic-grill-accessories/grill-greats-ceramic-briquettes/

Tom don't waste your $$$ on them. Also don't do it to your Weber especially. Use it the way designed. BTW I bought these things for my Ducane that uses ceramic diamond briquettes (fell for the non-sense). Even in a grill designed to use ceramic they don't work well.

Tom don't waste your $$$ on them. Also don't do it to your Weber especially. Use it the way designed. BTW I bought these things for my Ducane that uses ceramic diamond briquettes (fell for the non-sense). Even in a grill designed to use ceramic they don't work well.

+1
I wouldn't waste money on them either.

Thanks, all, again for the input. I got to fire it up and cook on it for the first time last night. I've read other posters state what a joy it was to cook on one of these (Genesis and Summit), and now I can relate to their sentiments. All I can say is, wow! I never cooked on a quality gas grill before, and now I have experienced the difference. I cooked 3 strip steaks, boneless/skinless chicken breasts, and shrimp skewers. Everything came out great, and I just can't believe the consistency of this grill. Everything was cooked evenly - no moving to and from hot spots. It got up to around 600 degrees in about 10 minutes and I let it burn off any manufacturing artifacts. It responded well to lowering the heat and performed as anticipated. Now it's just a matter of getting used to it and getting a better feel for how it works and behaves.

I still love my kettles and my WSM, but this is a nice change of pace and will fit it well with the Weber grill family.

One other question: is it worth it (or even a wise move) to line the large removable drip channel with foil to facilitate easy cleaning? Same for the fixed "ramps" under the burners (though that would be more of a challenge). I know there is a concern of obstructing grease flow, which is far worse than a more involved cleaning once in a while.

Next up, burgers, brats, and dogs!

TD

Back