Just got a WSM

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just got and assembled my WSM. Been BBQing for about 8 months on a Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal. Hoping for more stable burns and longer Burn times.

One quick question. I read over the instruction manual last night and didn't see any reference to seasoning the WSM. Is there any need to season it before first use? If so how do you do it?

Thanks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chris II

No need for seasoning. There is some justification for accelerating the build-up of a soot layer on the inside of the cooker to assist temperature maintenance with some initial runs, but there are no issues with the finish on the cooker as it comes right out of the box-- it's porcelain enamel.

Also, re: the manual-- read as much as you can on this site for usage instructions-- the included manual is generally regarded as how not to fire up and use the WSM.

No, there is no reason to 'season' your WSM.

Unless you just want a good excuse to play with it. Like I did. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Just use this site...there is more knowledge, skill and expertise on this site than at Weber. We just let those folks make a heck of a grill and smoker...

PrestonD

Begs and interesting question. Why don't the folks at Weber check this site and amend their instructions according to what really works?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charles Chance:
[qb] Begs and interesting question. Why don't the folks at Weber check this site and amend their instructions according to what really works? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The WSM is an anomoly for the privately held company. I'm sure they could improve and market the product better, but they really don't need too. (No shareholders to answer too.)

In defense of Weber, I doubt if they ever anticipated or planned for the WSM to be used with the level of expertise and detail that "we" put forth on this site. It is basically a very high quality vertical water smoker that can out do anything similiar to it on the market even with the very general approach set forth in the owner's manuel. I owned one for about 8 years before this site came on-line, and my friends and family thought the Q was great.

I think it's a tribute to the product that we can make a few relatively simple modifications and turn the WSM into a precise temperature control unit. What it can produce in the hands of knowledgeable people is quite amazing.

My only concern about Weber is that they might stop making the unit /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif . Maybe I'll buy a couple more just to be safe. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PRG

Hey Chris,

You are reaching beyond just being a casual smoker. This site is the big time!

I couldn't spell brisket a few months ago and now neighbors are asking when the next smoke is.

Pork Eat World
Sonny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back