Just did my first brisket in the WSM...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It was an 8.36 lb flat when I started (heaviest one they had at Sam's Wholesale). I trimmed exactly one pound of fat off of it before the cook. It registered 192 in just under 7 hours, so I pulled it off and placed it in foil to rest. It seems to me that it cooked a lot faster than what I've read here. I gauged the heat of the smoker by placing a thermometer that was made to be installed into the smoker in the top vent. It read between 225 and 250 for the majority of the cook except right towards the end of the cook when I couldn't seem to get it above 215 or so. The meat was done anyway.

My question is, does it sound like I'm getting an accurate reading on the therm inside the vent? The temp must have been higher in order for the brisket to come to 192 in less than 7 hrs right? This is only my second cook on the WSM, and my first attempt at cooking a brisket. The first cook was a pork butt, which came out perfectly.

Rudy, It all depends on the thicknes of the brisket. If you had a thin one figure 1 hr lb. For thick ones figure 1.5 hrs lb. Bryan

Well I guess that was about right then. I really have nothing to judge it against regarding the thickness, as it is the first brisket I've cooked. It had a very nice smoke ring to it and tasted great. It was a little on the dry side. Nevertheless, the meat was very tender and really good.

Rudy, the next time don't trim the fat off the top. I never trim mine just the way i do it. It's probally 50 /50 on to trim or not to trim. JMO. And let it rest for at least 1 hr. I let mine rest for 2 hrs. Bryan

Trimming the fat probably did have a lot to do with the lack of moisture in the final product. I trimmed so much fat, the "fat side" up versus down argument was null. There was no fat side. I did let it rest for about an hour before slicing. Next time, I will try to find a thicker piece of brisket and will not trim all the fat off it.

I always leave fat on all meats. It is very easy to seperate fat from meat at the end when either slicing or pulling the meat. The fat is where the flavor and moisture come from.

Nick P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back